This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2012 11:03 PM by user450859 RSS

Upgrade from 11i to R12 - Custom Forms,Reports and Workflows

user450859 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear Community Friends,

We are planning for upgrade from oracle apps 11.5.10.2 to R12.
We have custom Forms,Form Libraries,Reports and Workflows.
Kindly provide me for approach on how to migrate Custom form libraries,reports and Workflows.
I beleive, this thread will exists as one shot point for custom forms,reports,workflow upgradation from 11i to r12 with detailed steps.

I know that many links exists here in the forum for all the above objects mentioned,but still from all those i am able to get a clear picture for oracle forms but not for custom form libraries ,reports and workflows.

Also,this post will provide a low level,practical picture of the steps for those who are in line with this.

Links i have read for all these in our forum are:
For Custom Forms,
Re: Planning to upgrade from 11i to R12
Re: Custom forms: After upgrading 11i to R12
ofcourse,'n' number of links exists providing metalink notes also.
Hussain,Helios and some others also has given many updates regd this.

For custom workflow upgradation,
Upgrade Workflow 11i to R12
Workflow Upgrade
Workflow Upgrade

For reports,links mentioned the below metalink notes:
Do Not Compile EBS R12 Reports Using rwconverter.sh or Reports Builder from IDS 10gR2 [ID 786794.1]
Using the OracleAS 10.1.2 Forms and Reports Builders with Oracle Applications Release 12 [ID 444248.1]

Per my understanding, after searching in many threads,i am here by summarising the practical low level steps for custom forms migration
Please correct me,if i am wrong.

1) Download the Forms(.fmb's) and all PLL's(all the PLL from resource folder in AU_TOP) into a Local Machine Folder
2) Open the forms using Forms Developer 10G and connect to DB
3) Compile by clicking compilein Forms Developer and then save it.
4) Upload the Saved Forms(.fmb's) into the new R12 server(system) in the respective custom paths(paths similar to 11i Server)
5) Compile all the forms using the command like below(example command is shown below or f60 gen commands or frmcmp.sh utility) in the respective custom form paths,
this will generate the .fmx's.
frmcmp_batch module=FORMNAME.fmb userid=apps/apps output_file=FORMNAME.fmx compile_all=yes
Link for compiling forms: https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/ui/km/SearchDocDisplay.jspx?_afrLoop=359210362972527&type=DOCUMENT&id=1085928.1&displayIndex=3&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=c348xvwbg_98
6) Open the form and check in R12 instance

As per my understanding for custom form libraries,we can just copy paste the PLL's from 11i server to R12 server (Please correct me,if i am wrong)

Can anyone please help me out in custom reports and custom workflows.Sorry that,i could not get a practical and clear picture for reports and also for workflow even after referring many threads and metalink notes mentioned.

As for reports,some says that Developer Suite 10g can be used and .rdf can be used in R12.
Some says that reports should be converted to XML published as reports does not exists in R12.
So,i am not clear on this.

Thanks,
Ganesh
ngs1983@gmail.com
  • 1. Re: Upgrade from 11i to R12 - Custom Forms,Reports and Workflows
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl also see this MOS Doc and the docs that it refers to

Upgrading your Customizations to Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1 -- White Paper [ID 1435894.1]

Moving RDF reports to BI/XML Publisher is recommended - pl see these links on how to do so

http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/fmw/bi/xmlp_ebiz/index.html
    http://www.docstoc.com/docs/23964434/XML-Publisher-For-Dummies-%E2%80%93-A-Step-By-Step

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Upgrade from 11i to R12 - Custom Forms,Reports and Workflows
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    Per my understanding, after searching in many threads,i am here by summarising the practical low level steps for custom forms migration
    Please correct me,if i am wrong.

1) Download the Forms(.fmb's) and all PLL's(all the PLL from resource folder in AU_TOP) into a Local Machine Folder
    2) Open the forms using Forms Developer 10G and connect to DB
    3) Compile by clicking compilein Forms Developer and then save it.
    4) Upload the Saved Forms(.fmb's) into the new R12 server(system) in the respective custom paths(paths similar to 11i Server)
    5) Compile all the forms using the command like below(example command is shown below or f60 gen commands or frmcmp.sh utility) in the respective custom form paths,
    this will generate the .fmx's.
    frmcmp_batch module=FORMNAME.fmb userid=apps/apps output_file=FORMNAME.fmx compile_all=yes
    Link for compiling forms: https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/ui/km/SearchDocDisplay.jspx?_afrLoop=359210362972527&type=DOCUMENT&id=1085928.1&displayIndex=3&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=c348xvwbg_98
    6) Open the form and check in R12 instance

As per my understanding for custom form libraries,we can just copy paste the PLL's from 11i server to R12 server (Please correct me,if i am wrong)
    You are right, and the steps mentioned above should be sufficient.
    Can anyone please help me out in custom reports and custom workflows.Sorry that,i could not get a practical and clear picture for reports and also for workflow even after referring many threads and metalink notes mentioned.

As for reports,some says that Developer Suite 10g can be used and .rdf can be used in R12.
    Some says that reports should be converted to XML published as reports does not exists in R12.
    So,i am not clear on this.
    You can still use RDF files in R12, and just follow the approach you mentioned above, and you do not have to migrate them to XML publisher (though it is recommended, but this can be done after the upgrade as an enhancement task).

For custom workflow, you need also to do the same thing, open them using workflow builder and make sure they work in R12 (correct the code if required and save them again in R12 once they work properly).

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 3. Re: Upgrade from 11i to R12 - Custom Forms,Reports and Workflows
    user450859 Newbie
    Dear Hussein,
    As expected,i got a reply from you.
    Really great on looking at your service,you are doing here.

//You can still use RDF files in R12, and just follow the approach you mentioned above, and you do not have to migrate them to XML publisher (though it is recommended, but this can be done after the upgrade as an enhancement task).//

Sorry,i do not have any approach for this,i am waiting for this.Can you please let me know?

//For custom workflow, you need also to do the same thing, open them using workflow builder and make sure they work in R12 (correct the code if required and save them again in R12 once they work properly).//

Per my understanding,Steps are below.
    1) Download all the custom workflow files.
    2) Open the Workflow Builder,Connect it to R12 DB
    3) If any changes needed do it else directly save it.
    4) Upload the files into R12 Server in the corresponsing custom paths.

Kindly let me know above is correct or not.

Thanks,
    Ganesh Shankar
  • 4. Re: Upgrade from 11i to R12 - Custom Forms,Reports and Workflows
    user450859 Newbie
    Also,
    Kindly let me know on what version of workflow builder or developer suite to be used for reports on R12.

Thanks,
    Ganesh
  • 5. Re: Upgrade from 11i to R12 - Custom Forms,Reports and Workflows
    1) Download all the custom workflow files.
    2) Open the Workflow Builder,Connect it to R12 DB
    3) If any changes needed do it else directly save it.
    4) Upload the files into R12 Server in the corresponsing custom paths.

Kindly let me know above is correct or not.
    The above steps (1 to 3) are correct.

I am not sure what do you mean by step 4. Workflow files can be opened using Workflow Builder by connecting to the database directly and you can save the changes directly in the database after doing the necessary fixes.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 6. Re: Upgrade from 11i to R12 - Custom Forms,Reports and Workflows
    Kindly let me know on what version of workflow builder or developer suite to be used for reports on R12.
    Workflow Builder client 2.6.3 -- Recommended Set Up for Client/Server Products with Oracle E-Business Suite 11i & R12 [ID 277535.1]

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 7. Re: Upgrade from 11i to R12 - Custom Forms,Reports and Workflows
    user450859 Newbie
    Thanks a lot Hussein.

//The above steps (1 to 3) are correct.

I am not sure what do you mean by step 4. //

On Step 1) We have downloaded the custom workflow files from 11i System to local computer.
    On Step 3) After opening the file from local machine,clicking save button in workflow builder saves the workflow file.

Step 4 - I mean,after saving the file,it would be in my local machine,i need to upload it to R12 system.

//Workflow files can be opened using Workflow Builder by connecting to the database directly and you can save the changes directly in the database after doing the necessary fixes.//

You mean to say,it is like a package or procedure - it would be stored in DB on saving and hence do not need to upload the custom workflow files like rdf's into the R12 system?

Kindly provide me approach in steps for custom reports.
    As i mentioned,i do not have any approach and steps for reports.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 8. Re: Upgrade from 11i to R12 - Custom Forms,Reports and Workflows
    You mean to say,it is like a package or procedure - it would be stored in DB on saving and hence do not need to upload the custom workflow files like rdf's into the R12 system?
    Correct.
    Kindly provide me approach in steps for custom reports.
    As i mentioned,i do not have any approach and steps for reports.
    For custom reports, you need to download them to your local machine, compile them (using Reports Builder 10g) and make sure they return no errors. Then, upload those rdf files back to the server in the correct directories.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 9. Re: Upgrade from 11i to R12 - Custom Forms,Reports and Workflows
    user450859 Newbie
    Perfect.Thanks Hussein

I am summarising the Reports steps here,so that it would help everyone.

1) Download the custom .rdf's files to local machine
    2) Open using Oracle Developer Suite 10g and connect to R12 Database
    3) Compile and Save without any errors.If any error returned,please address and solve it.
    4) Upload the files to R12 System in the corresponding directories.

For Custom form libraries,Steps are below(Please correct me,if i am wrong or not clear)

1) Copy 11i CUSTOM.pll, upgrade it to Oracle Forms 10g, and put it in place in our new Release 12 file system.
    means
    Copy that entire 11i CUSTOM.pll file and download it to local machine.
    Open using Forms Developer 10G and connect it to R12 DB
    Save it and then Compile it by clikcing compile
    Upload the file to R12 System(Before this,take backup of the empty version of CUSTOM.pll in R12 System)

Alternatively, we can put your code into the Release 12 CUSTOM.pll after backing up the new, empty version.
    means
    Once upgradation to R12 happens,in R12 CUSTOM.pll will exists and it would be empty.
    Take backup of that.
    Download and open the CUSTOM.pll from 11i system.
    Copy the script or code from that and paste it it the R12 CUSTOM.pll file
    For Opening the R12 CUSTOM.pll file,use Forms Developer 10g,after pasting the code,save it and close it.

For Workflow,Steps are already mentioned.

With this,Migration steps for Custom forms,form libraries,reports and workflow from 11i to R12 is completed.

Thanks,
    Ganesh Shankar

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points