This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 11:43 AM by Avi Miller RSS

Linux 4.5 Installation skips network configuration

953953 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
When installing Oracle Linux 4.5 it skips the network installation step. I do not get a chance to configure a card, set up addresses, what have you.

This is being installed on a 64bit laptop. I have a network cable in the port and the green light is lit up.

Is there a way to force the installation to allow the network setup or can it be configured later? If so, how? I'm new to Linux.

Thanks,

George
  • 1. Re: Linux 4.5 Installation skips network configuration
    Veeresh.S Pro
    Is there a way to force the installation to allow the network setup or can it be configured later?
    Yes, Network setup can be configured later.
    If so, how?
    There are 2 ways

1. Using GUI
    Once you logged in, go to ‘Applications’ menu then select ‘System Settings’ and then ‘Network’ to edit network settings.
    Here you can select the ethernet device like eth0,eth1. select the desired ethernet device then click on edit and there you can add/change ipaddress,subnet mask,dsn address,gateway.

2.through command prompt
    You can configure the network ipaddress even manually.
    Ref : http://arjudba.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-changeconfigure-ip-address-on.html
  • 2. Re: Linux 4.5 Installation skips network configuration
    Avi Miller Guru
    950950 wrote:
    When installing Oracle Linux 4.5 it skips the network installation step. I do not get a chance to configure a card, set up addresses, what have you.
    This means the installer isn't detecting your network card, which is not surprising for such an old version of Linux. Is there a reason why you're not installing Oracle Linux 6? 4.5 is over a decade old now and will almost certainly run badly on a laptop. If you have to run 4.5, you should possibly run it as a VirtualBox guest on another operating system.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points