This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2012 5:41 PM by Dude! RSS

FTP services

941744 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi I newly installed oracle linux..

I dnt have internet..

My FTP is not working, m trying do ftp tp oracle linux but root ,password is not accepting.

Can u help me in enabling FTP services so that i can transfer packages to it
  • 1. Re: FTP services
    Dude! Guru
    FTP has been depreciated long time ago. You can use SFTP and SCP, which are part of SSH2 and installed and enabled by default.
  • 2. Re: FTP services
    yoonas Expert
    Hi,

Your version of linux?

see if ftp and vsftpd is installed if its not installed install from your installation media and start vsftpd service

I have checked for oel 5 its there in installation media.

Regards
    Yoonas
  • 3. Re: FTP services
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    My FTP is not working, m trying do ftp tp oracle linux but root ,password is not accepting.
    It's not working, that is, not active, or it's not accepting root user ? What exactly do you get ?
  • 4. Re: FTP services
    941744 Newbie
    HI VSFTPD services are running...

Wen i do telnet 192.168.1.12 21

its displays error :- 500 OOPS vsftpd cannot locate user specified in 'chown_username' :whoever

All ftp services are running, m able to ping to 192.168.1.12 but stil from putty,or winscp..its not comnnecting

Winscp say:- Network error, Connection refused
  • 5. Re: FTP services
    Dude! Guru
    You may need to check your firewall configuration, or turn it of using "service iptables stop". However, Telnet and FTP are legacy protocols used in the last century and obsolete. Unless you have a very specific need for FTP I suggest not to bother with it anymore.

Only ssh, tcp port 22, will be allowed to accept incoming connect by default. Apparently you have Putty (ssh client) and WinSCP, which supports SFTP and SCP. If you can use SSH to connect to your machine, SCP and SFTP will work too. If you cannot establish a SSH connection with your server, check your network routing and tcp/ip configuration on the client and server. If you run any kind of machine virtualization, check the virtual network adapter type.
  • 6. Re: FTP services
    941744 Newbie
    Fire waal configuration is OFF/disabled

All my VSFTP services are working on seeing ps -ef|grep ftp---> /etc/vsftp.vsftpd.conf m seeing this //this show my vsftp is running

but still m not able top connect from putty or winscp
  • 7. Re: FTP services
    Dude! Guru
    Are you confusing VSFTP with SFTP? VS-FTP has nothing do with SSH or SFTP and SCP.

Again, running your VSFTP or SSH daemon on your Linux server is only one part of the story. Can you connect to the machine itself, for instance:

<pre>
    # ssh root@localhost
    # ftp localhost
    </pre>

If the above works on the machine itself, but not from your desktop client, then the issue is most likely your network configuration or internal or external (transparent) firewall configuration.
  • 8. Re: FTP services
    941744 Newbie
    Hi :DuDe" i did what u said and i recieved this error:-

ssh root@localhots or ssh root@192.168.1.12

ssh:connect to host localhost port 22: connection refused
  • 9. Re: FTP services
    yoonas Expert
    Hi,

Check your ssh is running. If its not running start and try ssh.
    Try connecting ftp as Dude asked you to do.

Regards
    Yoonas
  • 10. Re: FTP services
    Dude! Guru
    Did you perform a minimal install? I suggest you reinstall the system using the default software selection. Alternatively, configure yum to access the repository on the installation DVD according to the OS release notes and type "yum install openssh-server". Provided your TCP/IP network works, SSH will work too.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points