This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 14, 2012 7:56 AM by Dude! RSS

My /proc/<misc> entry is too large so its only displaying few entries

968131 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have created proc entry in my driver and the /proc data can be viewed from the Linux (Oracle Enterprise Linux) using a cat command.

I have large amount of data to be displayed on the /proc file system. However only few initial few lines are printed and the remaining lines are truncated. It seems to be the page size issue of the proc. But when I run the same driver on Redhat machine, all my /proc data is displayed.

I have 2 questions,
Does the page size for the /proc varies among the linux distribution??
How to increase the page size of /proc in OEL??

One solution for this is to create multiple /proc entries inside the parent dir, but I need all the data to be printed with my single proc entry.

Please provide some pointers to find a solution for this problem.

Thanks,
Ankit
  • 1. Re: My /proc/<misc> entry is too large so its only displaying few entries
    Dude! Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Your mileage with the virtual procfs filesystem may vary depending on the kernel version and system architecture (i386).

What are you using or comparing?

As far as I know, the current UEK 2 kernel is based on the mainline Linux kernel version 3 (2.6.39). Perhaps it explains the issue you are experiencing. Kernel 2.6 marks the beginning of sysfs (/sys), which apparently does a better job for showing device information than the legacy procfs. The use of procfs is depreciated, but kept for compatibility reasons.

The following article should provide some more details:
    http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~arkeller/linux/kernel_user_space_howto.html

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points