This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2012 2:28 AM by LaserSoft RSS

Oracle on CFC

966684 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Want to set up a cold failover cluster/active-passive set up on RHEL in a test system. I am using Oracle 11gr2 EE.

1) Do I need any extra license?

2) Can I use Oracle Clusterware

3) Can I use non-ASM file system or ASM is a must

Please provide any links or steps for implementation..
  • 1. Re: Oracle on CFC
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi,

first of all Oracle has a prebuild solution for this called RAC One Node:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/clustering/overview/ds-rac-one-node-11gr2-185089.pdf
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/clustering/overview/twp-rac1nodev1-1-130698.pdf

furthermore this is the only fully supported solution. For restrictions if you build it manually see:

MOS Note 790189.1 Oracle Clusterware and Application Failover Management

Now to your questions:
    963681 wrote:
    Hi All,

Want to set up a cold failover cluster/active-passive set up on RHEL in a test system. I am using Oracle 11gr2 EE.

1) Do I need any extra license?
    Only the database EE licenses - as long as you adhere to the 10 days failover rule for failover clusters for only one server.

>
    2) Can I use Oracle Clusterware
    Yes. As you can see in the restricted use license policy: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594/editions.htm#CJAHFHBJ

>
    3) Can I use non-ASM file system or ASM is a must
    While you could, in this case you would have to take care of the filesystem failover/zoning yourself. Which is not a good idea.
    Use ASM it's easier and faster.
    Please provide any links or steps for implementation..
    Since there is a fully supported solution (RAC One Node), there is no official documentation for 11gR2.
    However the scripts for failover are still in the demo folder of GI_HOME/crs and you get an idea of the commands reading the old whitepapers:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/clusterware/overview/si-db-failover-11g-134623.pdf
    and in the clusterware documentation.

Again I suggest looking at RAC One Node, as it takes away the hurdle of manual setup.

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 2. Re: Oracle on CFC
    Marko Sutic Newbie
    Hello,

Sebastian answered first two questions.

About third question - you could use OCFS2 if you want to avoid ASM.
    ASM is recommended opinion but OCFS2 is also supported opinion if you have Oracle Enterprise Linux support. It is very simple to configure and use.

RAC One Node is nice suggestion but it's not free for Enterprise Edition. I think the price is about $10,000 per processor.

We're running manually configured active/passive cluster using custom scripts (check link Sebastian provided) without any problems.
    But it's not fully supported (as RAC One Node) and it's slightly difficult to configure.

Regards,
    Marko
  • 3. Re: Oracle on CFC
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi Marko,

thx for adding OCFS2. I always forget that.

Only make sure that when you use OCFS2 to combine the 2 clusterwares correctly:

Heartbeat/Voting/Quorum Related Timeout Configuration for Linux, OCFS2, RAC Stack to Avoid Unnecessary Node Fencing, Panic and Reboot (Doc ID 395878.1)

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 4. Re: Oracle on CFC
    Marko Sutic Newbie
    Hello Sebastian,

you are correct about timeout configuration.
    But also you must think about block size and cluster size when creating OCFS2 filesystem.
    What mount opinions to use. Should you partition disk before formatting or not? Etc...

Before even trying to create active-passive failover cluster using Oracle Clusterware+OCFS2 I recommend reading all articles related to OCFS2 and Oracle RAC on MOS.
    And install guides for OCFS2 and Oracle Clusterware.
    It is very important to initially create proper configuration and perform stress/functional tests before going to production.

Oracle Clusterware+OCFS2 is much cheaper opinion then Oracle Rac One Node - but this opinion also carries its disadvantages.

Regards,
    Marko
  • 5. Re: Oracle on CFC
    38363 Newbie
    Marko posted this link as well in another thread that was helpful.

https://blogs.oracle.com/xpsoluxdb/entry/clusterware_11gr2_setting_up_an_activepassive_failover_configuration

Thanks Marko.
  • 6. Re: Oracle on CFC
    LaserSoft Journeyer
    Hi Friend,

Good Query.

Use Redhat Cluster for Active-Passive Setup. Cluster will automatically move from Active to Passive node including all components. It is one of the best option. We are using the same option in three sites.

Oracle RACOne Node is a Separate license factor. It is not free.

Whether it is Active-Passive Setup (OS Side) / RACOne Node, you can use either NON-ASM and ASM also.

Thanks
    LaserSoft

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points