This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2012 5:20 PM by matthew_morris RSS

MySQL 5 Developer vs. Oracle Database SQL Expert - which exam is simpler?

Philippe Ludwig Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

work now with Oracle. Worked in the past with MySQL (bevore Oracle bought it). I failed SQL Expert exam twice.
  • 1. Re: MySQL 5 Developer vs. Oracle Database SQL Expert - which exam is simpler?
    matthew_morris Expert
    Those SQL Expert and MySQL Developer exams are an apples-to-oranges comparison. While the two are both largely about SQL, which of them is 'easier' depends entirely then on the person taking it, rather than the exams themselves.

The SQL Expert exam is tricky -- there's no doubt. The number of exhibits is so large that they actually become distracting (and are often not required for the question). The questions and answers sometimes tend to mislead the unwary. I recall thinking on several questions that there was more than one answer. Re-reading the question, i realized that the wording of it made one of the answers 'more correct' than the other. Other questions had SQL written in a deliberately unusual (but legal) style to make it harder to understand. Much of the test was like that, you had to read the question carefully, look at the SQL carefully, and read all of the answers carefully before picking one. Get in a hurry and you'll end up picking answers that are not right enough. Take too long looking at exhibits and you'll run out of time to carefully read the questions and answers...

I've not taken the MySQL developer tests so I can't speak to the difficulty of them. I don't know how many people that would have taken them and the SQL Expert exam. I'd think that would be an unusual combination of skills to pursue. I would suspect that they would be more in keeping with 'straightforward' SQL tests like 1Z0-051. That exam is designed to test your basic knowledge of SQL rather than testing your ability to work with SQL after you've been blindfolded, spun around, and kicked in a delicate spot two or three times.
  • 2. Re: MySQL 5 Developer vs. Oracle Database SQL Expert - which exam is simpler?
    bigdelboy Pro
    matthew_morris wrote:
    I don't know how many people that would have taken them and the SQL Expert exam. I'd think that would be an unusual combination of skills to pursue. I would suspect that they would be more in keeping with 'straightforward' SQL tests like 1Z0-051. That exam is designed to test your basic knowledge of SQL rather than testing your ability to work with SQL after you've been blindfolded, spun around, and kicked in a delicate spot two or three times.
    I have taken the SQL OCE as well as MySQL5.0DBA when it it was pre-Sun (and Pre-Oracle). I have some rusy knowledge of what would be required for MySQL5.0DEV. In essence I woul rate the current MySQL exams at an OCA level rather than an OCP level. Personal opinion only. The MySQL OCA exam should have either been unproctored taster or an OCS; certainly not an OCA. IMHO the MySQL exams/certifications were kludged onto the Oracle Certification Framework and the result was overpriced and overvalued. Previously the were appropriate value.

I'm very MySQL rusty currently; about 2 years since i looked at it. Suspect it may get sorted when the certifications finally are re-done for a later MySQL release; they are really a couple of years overdue a rework. MySQL 5.0 is old ... MySQL 5.5/5.6 is really what people should be pushed to study.

The MySQL developer exams are not just 'quirky' MySQL .... they contain some procedural things as well. A strong calibre MySQL dude would probably get the MySQL5.0DEV with compartative ease ... an equivalent (and there is actually no such thing as equivalent) classic Oracle SQL person is likely to sweating whether or not they have a pass at the end of the SQL OCE exam.

I guess also browse: https://blogs.oracle.com/MySQL/ and http://dev.mysql.com/
  • 3. Re: MySQL 5 Developer vs. Oracle Database SQL Expert - which exam is simpler?
    matthew_morris Expert
    bigdelboy wrote:
    matthew_morris wrote:
    ...I'd think that would be an unusual combination of skills to pursue.
    I have taken the SQL OCE as well as MySQL5.0DBA when it it was pre-Sun (and Pre-Oracle). I have some rusy knowledge of what would be required for MySQL5.0DEV.
    Cool. I said it was an unusual combination, and bigdelboy is an unusual person -- so I was spot on. Score! :)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points