This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 6:51 AM by NC RSS

Upgrade from 11202 to 11203

Andy.....! Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

DB : 11.2.0.2 64-bit

I want to upgrade from 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.3 so I want to know that is there any extra liscence require to install 11.2.0.3?

And from 11.2 we have to install a new software in new Oracle Home so what are major steps I have to take?

Suppose after installation of new ORACLE Home is there any utility to uninstall old Oracle home of 11.2.0.2 in Linux?

Please suggest....

Regards,
Andy.....!
  • 1. Re: Upgrade from 11202 to 11203
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    You are eligible to upgrade to 11.2.0.3 as long as you are paying for maintenance/support on 11.2.0.2.

As you stated, you will have to install 11.2.0.3 in a new ORACLE_HOME, then follow the steps in the README to perform the upgrade.

Important Changes to Oracle Database Patch Sets Starting With 11.2.0.2 [ID 1189783.1]

After a successful upgrade, you can de-install the 11.2.0.2 software by following the documentation - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/remove_oracle_sw.htm#CEGBAJIA

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Upgrade from 11202 to 11203
    Andy.....! Newbie
    Hi Srini,

Thanks for reply......

Suppose I am keeping old Oracle Home for safer side and installing new Oracle Home on another mount point.
    So waht will happen to existing '/etc/oratab' and '/etc/oraInst.loc' file?
    It will be overwrited or new files will created?
    If it is overwriting that old files then at the time deinstallation of old Oracle home it can remove new Oracle home's files....

Regards,
    Andy.....!
  • 3. Re: Upgrade from 11202 to 11203
    vlethakula Expert
    1)Your /etc/oratab would be updated with new home details.
    2)You can deinstall old oracle home
    Use dbua to upgrade your databases, its quite easy and simple
    export ORACLE_HOME=11.2.0.3home
    export PATH=$ORALCE_HOME/bin:$PATH
    dbua -silent -sid <>
  • 4. Re: Upgrade from 11202 to 11203
    Andy.....! Newbie
    Hi vreddy,

Thanks for reply.....

While creating new home oratab will be updated but at the time of deinstallation of old ORA_HOME is there any impact on new home?....because in oratab there will be new Oracle home.

Regards,
    Anand.
  • 5. Re: Upgrade from 11202 to 11203
    NC Explorer
    No there is no impact for new ORACLE_HOME (11.2.0.3) installed when you perform deinstall of old ORACLE_HOME (11.2.0.2).

Generally its not advisable to deinstall till you feel post upgrade the database is stable. If you need to use the old ORACLE_HOME for some reasons you will be with no options but to perform install again or copy from some other location.

Regards,
    NC

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points