This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 3:55 AM by 489412 RSS

ORA 28817 PLSQL function returned an error . when Access instance apex 4 2

Mindmap Pro
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I have just upgraded from apex 4.1 to apex 4.2. Everything is fine except for this error that I get when I try to access Instance Setting on the Admin App (localhost/apex/apex_admin)
ORA-28817: PL/SQL function returned an error
What could be the problem ?? How can we fix it ..

I am working on Win server 2012 machine .. apex 4.2 with apex listener 2 deployed on Glassfish 3.1.2.

Best Regards,
Fateh
  • 1. Re: ORA 28817 PLSQL function returned an error . when Access instance apex 4 2
    Christian Neumueller Expert
    Hello Fateh,

we are already aware of that problem, although it is not yet present on our Known Issues webpage. The reason for this error is that the new installation overwrites an instance-wide encryption key. Values in the instance preferences that were encrypted with the old value (the SMTP password and the wallet password) are invalid after the upgrade and decryption causes this error. As a work around, you can use the apex_instance_admin package to overwrite the invalid passwords.

The following code shows how decryption throws ORA-28817:
    SYS@a411> select apex_instance_admin.get_parameter('SMTP_PASSWORD') from dual;
    select apex_instance_admin.get_parameter('SMTP_PASSWORD') from dual
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-28817: PL/SQL function returned an error.
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_CRYPTO_FFI", line 67
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_CRYPTO", line 44
    ORA-06512: at "APEX_040200.WWV_FLOW_CRYPTO", line 89
    ORA-06512: at "APEX_040200.WWV_FLOW_INSTANCE_ADMIN", line 239
    You can fix this by entering new passwords:
    SYS@a411> exec apex_instance_admin.set_parameter('SMTP_PASSWORD','my smtp password');
    PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SYS@a411> exec apex_instance_admin.set_parameter('WALLET_PWD','my wallet password');
    PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SYS@a411> select apex_instance_admin.get_parameter('SMTP_PASSWORD') from dual;
    APEX_INSTANCE_ADMIN.GET_PARAMETER('SMTP_PASSWORD')
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    my smtp password

1 row selected.
    Regards,
    Christian
  • 3. Re: ORA 28817 PLSQL function returned an error . when Access instance apex 4 2
    user12991260 Newbie
    Don't forget to commit :)
  • 4. Re: ORA 28817 PLSQL function returned an error . when Access instance apex 4 2
    489412 Newbie
    Hello,

I have the same problem, i have upgraded from apex 4.1 to apex 4.2. with success.
    Everything is fine except for this error that I get when I try to access Instance Setting on the Admin Application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORA-28817: PL/SQL function returned an error

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have execute

sys> exec apex_instance_admin.set_parameter('SMTP_PASSWORD','my smtp password');

for send e-mail and now is fine, when I try to access Instance Setting on the Admin Application i have always this error

ORA-28817: PL/SQL function returned an error.

What could be the problem ?
    How can we fix it ..
    I am working on Win server 2008 Datacenter.
    Best Regards,
    Dan

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points