This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 17, 2012 3:22 AM by Nitin Khare RSS

Inventory maintainence across channels

968856 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
In ATG 9.1, Can someone suggest me the steps followed to maintain inventory when I go for multiple channels(Web, Store, etc.)

Also how to display the remaining Inventory items count for individual store?
  • 1. Re: Inventory maintainence across channels
    Nitin Khare Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    In ATG 9.1, Can someone suggest me the steps followed to maintain inventory when I go for multiple channels(Web, Store, etc.)
    Just giving a high level idea as there would be some customizations, integrations and other number of things involved here. ATG by default provides an inventory framework including an InventoryRepository. Part of this inventory framework is an interface called InventoryManager that contains all of the typical functions of an inventory system. Some default OOB InventoryManager implementations are provided as well. There is also a very simple admin interface for inventory management accessible from dyn/admin. I think you might be already referring to the chapter 13 for all this in the commerce programming guide:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26180_01/Platform.94/ATGCommProgGuide/ATGCommProgGuide.pdf

Now if our system is using ATG as a backend platform to drive all the sales channels then we can make use of default InventoryRepository or may be add our own extensions to it as required to cover all the requirements. We may also want more sophistication and features in the default inventory admin interface so we may develop that on our own. In case the system is using some external inventory management system then we may already have some inventory admin capabilities and we would want to integrate the external system with ATG. In that case we also want to have a new InventoryManager implementation based on the external system and using the new implementation within ATG. All we would need is to change the class name to our new class implementing InventoryManager in the component /atg/commerce/inventory/InventoryManager so that all other ATG components referring to it can use our new implementation.
    Also how to display the remaining Inventory items count for individual store?
    The default inventory repository does not maintain stock levels corresponding to a particular type of channel or store. So if you want this type of functionality you can extend the default repository definition and probably InventoryManager also to account for the type of channel/store in inventory.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points