3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 2:43 AM by teits RSS

parameters with active duplicate for physical standby

User447797-OC
      Oracle RDBMS : 11.2.0.2 4-node RAC on RHEL 5.6

We are planning to create physical standby database for 4-node RAC primary to a 4-node RAC standby using Active database duplicate with ASM and OMF

1. while using active database duplicate, do we need to set cluster_database=FALSE in spfile clause and create standby,next change it back to TRUE at standby. Or we don't need to touch it. And also do we need to include instance_number parameter

2. We are using OMF, can we use log_file_name_convert parameter in spfile clause of duplicate. Documentation says log_file_name_convert cannot be used if standby is going to have OMF. Because we have 5 groups for each thread, which are on 5 different disk groups. When standby is created all the logs are created in only one disk group pointed by db_create_online_file_dest_1.

3. To enable force logging at primary do we need to shutdown the database?
        • 1. Re: parameters with active duplicate for physical standby
          mseberg
          Hello;
          1. while using active database duplicate, do we need to set cluster_database=FALSE in spfile clause and create standby,next change it back to TRUE at standby. Or we don't need to touch it. And also do we need to include instance_number parameter
          For active duplicate you don't need to do this.
          2. We are using OMF, can we use log_file_name_convert parameter in spfile clause of duplicate. Documentation says log_file_name_convert cannot be used if standby is going to have OMF. Because we have 5 groups for each thread, which are on 5 different disk groups. When standby is created all the logs are created in only one disk group pointed by db_create_online_file_dest_1.
          No, it should work. Simple example here :

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/standby_creation_from_active_database_using_rman.html

OR

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/rman/active_database_duplicating.html

3. To enable force logging at primary do we need to shutdown the database?
          No.

Best Regards

mseberg
          • 2. Re: parameters with active duplicate for physical standby
            User447797-OC
            Hi

For question#2, i couldn't able to find answer in the links you provided. If standby is going to have OMF enabled then by using log_file_name_convert gives invalid file names, according to the oracle documentation. I am confused because i have seen few say it works and few doesn't work.

Can anyone please provide me solution.
            • 3. Re: parameters with active duplicate for physical standby
              teits
              951368 wrote:
              Hi

For question#2, i couldn't able to find answer in the links you provided. If standby is going to have OMF enabled then by using log_file_name_convert gives invalid file names, according to the oracle documentation. I am confused because i have seen few say it works and few doesn't work.

Can anyone please provide me solution.
              If OMF parameters are set on the standby, the parameters takes precedence. i.e new files are always created as OMF.
              please read: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28294/scenarios.htm#i1067236

HTH
              Tobi