This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 10:11 AM by 986459 RSS

Update will not download-what do I do?

969351 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have a password protected user account on a workstation that keeps getting update notices that ask me to install the latest version of Java. I enter the password which enables the Java Install popup to appear, but when I click Install*, I get the following popup

Error - Java(TM) Update
Failed to download required installation files.

I'm wary of uninstalling my current version without consulting those more knowledgeable than myself, because I don't want to find that I still won't be able to successfully update and get stuck without any operating version of Java on board. Advice please.

Edited by: 966348 on Oct 18, 2012 11:46 AM
  • 1. Re: Update will not download-what do I do?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Get a computer that doesn't suck, download the stuff there and then transfer to your broken machine?

NOTE: that assumes you download the files here in stead of from java.com:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
  • 2. Re: Update will not download-what do I do?
    986459 Newbie
    Seems to me that some readers (like me) don't know what distinguishes a "computer that doesn't suck" from the one we (I) have now. I believe a company-run site should be more helpful and less disrespectful in helping people who depend on its products.
  • 3. Re: Update will not download-what do I do?
    RogerL (Oracle) Java Champion
    The default download on java.com is the 'online' installer, where the initial download is a very small binary, that when run downloads the required installation files. I suspect that some AV software, proxy, firewall, router or something, between the installer binary and the download servers is impeding/blocking the download of the files.

The general workaround for this is to download the offline installer, which contains all the necessary files to complete the install. The end result of installing the online and offline is the same, only the install mechanism differs.

Offline install location on java.com:
    https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Windows Offline filesize: 30 MB

-Roger

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points