This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 12:46 PM by 895327 RSS

Seperate Base & Data Directory (Linux / UNIX)

895327 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm installing a production Oracle Database 11g R2 EE on a RHEL 6.3 64-bit system and I'm a little confused by what the following doc quote means:
TFM wrote:
If you do not want to create a separate Oracle data file directory, then you can install the data files in a subdirectory of the Oracle base directory. However, this is not recommended for production databases."
Does anyone have an example of the following layout and what it can look like? I'm planning the following...

*/dev/sda* = Linux OS partitions:

-sda1 = /boot
-sda2 = Swap
-sda3 = /

*/dev/sdb* = ORACLE_*
-sdb1 = /u01

My ORACLE_BASE would be = /u01/app/oracle
My ORACLE_HOME would be = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2/db1

Based on that folder structure which seems very traditional in the Oracle realm, how would one create a separate data directory. I'm guessing the data directory is the $ORACLE_BASE/oradata, right? Anyone have an example of how this would be configured to Oracle preferred standards? Should I throw it on a separate disk partition on /dev/sda?
  • 1. Re: Seperate Base & Data Directory (Linux / UNIX)
    sb92075 Guru
    CarlosinFL wrote:
    I'm installing a production Oracle Database 11g R2 EE on a RHEL 6.3 64-bit system and I'm a little confused by what the following doc quote means:
    TFM wrote:
    If you do not want to create a separate Oracle data file directory, then you can install the data files in a subdirectory of the Oracle base directory. However, this is not recommended for production databases."
    Does anyone have an example of the following layout and what it can look like? I'm planning the following...

*/dev/sda* = Linux OS partitions:

-sda1 = /boot
    -sda2 = Swap
    -sda3 = /

*/dev/sdb* = ORACLE_*
    -sdb1 = /u01

My ORACLE_BASE would be = /u01/app/oracle
    My ORACLE_HOME would be = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2/db1

Based on that folder structure which seems very traditional in the Oracle realm, how would one create a separate data directory. I'm guessing the data directory is the $ORACLE_BASE/oradata, right? Anyone have an example of how this would be configured to Oracle preferred standards? Should I throw it on a separate disk partition on /dev/sda?
    how many physical disk drives exist & what size are each?
  • 2. Re: Seperate Base & Data Directory (Linux / UNIX)
    895327 Newbie
    There are two physical drives as shown above.

- /dev/sda = 2 TB
    - /dev/sdb = 2 TB

No RAID. The partition format is exactly as listed above and assume that both drives have ample space available for new partitions and or folders. How would you or someone who knows 11g more than I do proceed?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points