This content has been marked as final. Show 4 replies
I'm sure there's a better answer than this, but try this. Log into Enterprise Manager -> expand SOA -> click the composite application -> find the Component Metrics section -> click the human task -> click Administration -> change the port number -> click Apply.
To fix this during deployment time do the following:1 person found this helpful
1. Be sure to target your SOA cluster, not the individual managed servers.
2. Check your SOA Cluster front end host/port settings in the weblogic console. These should be set to your load balancer hostname and port.
Thanks Adam, I fixed the cluster front end configuration and its working now.
I didn't test your solution because the Adam's was a most general one, but thanks for your suggestion