This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 2:49 AM by Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) RSS

Migrate ASM with asmlib to ASM without asmlib

698658 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
wonder if I will be able to mount asm disk in scenario like below:
1. ASM 10.2.0.3 with ASMlib - source .
2 unmount
3 present to other server
4. Mount with ASM 11.2.0.3 without ASMlib - target .

Other words, does ASMlib matters in such case ?
I'll use udev to make persistency and permisions .
Regards
GregG
  • 1. Re: Migrate ASM with asmlib to ASM without asmlib
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi,

though I have not tried it, I cannot imagine a single thing, which would prevent you from doing this.

ASMLIB only stamps the disks - which are the first few bytes on the ASM diskheader.
    However the "real" ASM metadata are on the bytes after that - and they include the information, which diskgroups the disks belong to etc.

So yes this should work. (You only need another discovery string on the target ASM instance. ORCL:* won't work ;)

Another indication that this works, is an error some user did in the past: They had problems using ASMLIB (mostly because they only installed 2 out of all 3 asmlib packages) and so used the workaround by using "/dev/oraclasm/*" as the discovery string. This circumvented the ASMLIB mechanic: not using the stamped ASMLIB disk header, but the device directly.

So yes. This will work. Using UDEV and using another discovery string.

However the other way around: Getting disks into ASMLIB disks, which were not stamped before, is more complicated.
    If all fails, what you can always do is remove one disks (with ASMLIB) from the diskgroup. Clean disk. Readd it with normal discovery string and UDEV back to the diskgroup. Then next disk. Even though this is onliny, I don't expect you will need this.

Regards
    Sebastian

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points