This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2012 10:42 AM by Haider Hussain RSS

Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition

Haider Hussain Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am an Oracle PL/SQL programmer who wants to become an Oracle DBA. In order to gain hands on experience , I wish to install Oracle 11g R2 database on my Windows 7 (32 bit) Home edition system.

Could you please suggest the following :

1. Best online self learning materials available to become an Oracle DBA.
2. A good Linux based OS on which Oracle 11g R2 on my Windows 7 (32 bit) Home edition system.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Haider
  • 1. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    sb92075 Guru
    user13073680 wrote:
    Hi,

I am an Oracle PL/SQL programmer who wants to become an Oracle DBA. In order to gain hands on experience , I wish to install Oracle 11g R2 database on my Windows 7 (32 bit) Home edition system.

2. A good Linux based OS on which Oracle 11g R2 on my Windows 7 (32 bit) Home edition system.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Haider
    Oracle is NOT supported on any Home Edition.

install VirtualBox & deploy prebuilt Unix VM
  • 2. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl see my blog (linked in my profile) on how to install a VM on your Win 7 Home computer, and then install 11gR2 in the VM

HTH
    Srini
  • 3. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    sb92075 Guru
    user13073680 wrote:
    Hi,

http://docs.oracle.com
  • 4. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    Haider Hussain Newbie
    Hi Srini,

Thanks for a prompt response. Would a VM like Oracle Linux Edition 6 be good for this purpose ? I have a single NTFS partition on my system, can OLE 6 be installed on it or do I need to delete this partition and format this partition as a Linux partition like ?

Also , can a VM and oracle 11g r2 be installed on an external HDD . Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Haider

Edited by: user13073680 on Oct 21, 2012 1:34 AM
  • 5. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    sb92075 Guru
    http://chavalis.blogspot.com/
  • 6. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    Haider Hussain Newbie
    Hi

Can a VM and oracle database be installed on an external HDD ?

Thanks,
    Haider
  • 7. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    sb92075 Guru
    user13073680 wrote:
    Hi

Can a VM and oracle database be installed on an external HDD ?

Thanks,
    Haider
    install VirtualBox onto Windows
  • 8. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    Yes it can, but since IO speeds are slow for external HDDs, expect very sluggish performance.

HTH
    Srini
  • 9. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    Currently only 11.2.0.3 is certified to be install on OL6.x - 11.2.0.3 can only be downloaded from My Oracle Support for those customers paying support. If you are going to install 11.2.0.1, then install a OL 5.x VM - pl see detailed instructions in my blog

HTH
    Srini
  • 10. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    EdStevens Guru
    Haider Hussain wrote:
    Hi Srini,

Thanks for a prompt response. Would a VM like Oracle Linux Edition 6 be good for this purpose ? I have a single NTFS partition on my system, can OLE 6 be installed on it or do I need to delete this partition and format this partition as a Linux partition like ?

Also , can a VM and oracle 11g r2 be installed on an external HDD . Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Haider

Edited by: user13073680 on Oct 21, 2012 1:34 AM
    Don't touch the partition. When you install a vm, the virtualzation software itself (Virtual Box or VMware) simulates the entire virtual environment. It creates a file on on host os's partition, and that file is the virtual implementation of the HDD for the VM. The entire virtualization process is 'just another process' on the host os.

To put it another way, you don't really install the virtual machine on the host os. You install the virtualization software - Virtual Box or VMware. And that software is just another application on the host OS. The virtual machine that you create with the virtualization software is just a file or collection of files that belong to Virtual Box or VMware.

FWIW, my laptop is running Win7 Home Premium, 64bit. I've installed both VMware AND VirtualBox, and between them I have 3 Oracle Linux 5.7 servers and 1 Windows 2003 server running as VMs.

If you were to create a new partition, that would imply that you were going to install the Linux directly on your hardware and instead of a VM, have two co-equal OS's.

As for your question about putting the VM on an external drive, It sounds like you are still thinking that the VM requires a dedicated partition. As you see from my comments above, that is not so. The VM is really nothing but a file on the host os. Certainly you could have that file placed on an external drive if you needed to for capacity reasons, but for learning purposes, the vm's really don't need to be that big. Mine are typically only 20 to 30 gb. each.
  • 11. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    Haider Hussain Newbie
    Hi Ed,

Thanks for the detailed explanation , my current OS drive has 100 GB space , I also will be installing oracle 11g r2 after installing oracle linux edition. Could you please let me know if this space is enough.

Thanks,
    Haider
  • 12. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    Yes 100G will be sufficient to install/create VM, and install/create a database in the VM. Pl be aware that some of this space (up to 5G) will be taken up by the Oracle binaries, so your total database size cannot exceed approx 95G.

HTH
    Srini
  • 13. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    EdStevens Guru
    Haider Hussain wrote:
    Hi Ed,

Thanks for the detailed explanation , my current OS drive has 100 GB space , I also will be installing oracle 11g r2 after installing oracle linux edition. Could you please let me know if this space is enough.

Thanks,
    Haider
    Remember what I said? The vm software (Virtual Box or VMware ... let's just refer to it generically as 'VS') will create a file on the host os (taking it out of that 100gb you mention) and use that file as the virtual hard disk for your virtual machine. You specify how large you want that to be when you define the vm within the VS. Let's say you specify that at 30gb. Depending on the option you take when you specify the size, VS will either allocate a 30gb file, or allocate a much smaller file and allow it to grow up to 30gb as needed. This is handled by the VS. When you then install Linux on the VM, it sees a 30gb hard drive. The Oracle on the vm, its disk requirements will come from that 30gb.

So what you need to do is read the installation guide for Oracle and see what the hardware requirements are, and make sure you meet those requirements when you define your VM with the VS.

What you will really need to take care about is the networking. Whichever VS you install, it will create a network adapter on the host OS. And even though both Virtual Box and VMware implement 'NAT', 'hostonly' and 'bridged' networking they implement them differently. Here's how I handle it with VirtualBox.
    First, I have 3 prime directives for my VM
    1) it must be able to reach oracle's public yum server over the internet
    2) it must NOT be visible to my network admins - it must be hiding behind my host OS
    3) like any server, it must have a fixed IP address so that my host os can act as a client to the VM

In VMware this was accomplished by creating a single virtual NIC (eth0), specifying at as NAT, and assigining it an IP address in the subnet defined by the VMware Net8 adapter on my host os. VMware allows the NAT nic to also bridge, so the vm could reach the internet while still hiding behind the host os's ip address

In Virtual Box, the NAT implementation does not implement bridging and it requires a DHCP assigned address. So to meet my prime directives I have to create two virtual NICS. The first, eth0, is defined as NAT, which assigns a dynamic ip address and is used to reach the interent. The second NIC (eth1) I create as 'hostonly' and assign it an IP address within the subnet of the VirtualBox adapter running on the host os. It is this ip address I register in my host os's 'hosts' file, and by extension is the one used by putty and sqlnet on the host os as well as the listener on the vm. With this setup I work with my vm using exactly the same tools and configuration files as I do when working with any server in my data center.

Edited by: EdStevens on Oct 21, 2012 12:20 PM
  • 14. Re: Good Linux based OS for Oracle 11g R2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Edition
    Haider Hussain Newbie
    Thanks a bunch Ed and Srini. Your inputs were indeed very helpful.

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Haider
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points