since my upgrade to APEX 4.2 ( comming from 4.1.1.) I am unable to login any application with my windows phone 7/internet explorer.
I'm also unable to login any development workspace from the same phone. On a desktop I don't have these problems.
It's hard to debug but it looks like pages don't get submitted, after pressing a button nothing happens.
In the end login in is not my biggest problem but I need to be able to submit pages from a browser on a phone (any phone/os if possible).
Anybody had similar experience and/or a solution ?
Hope you can help me out since this is important functionality in some of my applications :(
Just checked : The problem also occurs on other browsers on the same device ( installed Safari as a test ). With IE the device identifies itself as :
Mozilla/5.0(Compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0;IEMobile/9.0; Nokia Lumia 800)
p.s. I did not create any extra (mobile) user interfaces in these applications, they should behave the same on a phone as a desktop so I'm just using the desktop interface.
Edited by: Bas de Klerk on Oct 21, 2012 6:32 AM
Thanks for confirming that ;-)
To me it seems like a bug but I'm not sure if WP7 is withing specs of supported platforms.
Besides the official support statement there's usually a way of fixing these "little" issues with a work around, that's in the end what I'm searching for.
hope the APEX development team can shine some light on this issue/bug.
I had some time to narrow down the cause. So far all that seems to go wrong is the submit of the page. This does not happen on WP7, on all other platforms this seems to work ok.
This goes wrong in any way on WP7. So also if you execute apex.submit "manually" nothing happens. I have no clue what ecxactly happens in detail when apex.submit is fired but this seems to be the clue.
A work around for some pages now can be to manually program the submit code via a dynamic action on the button executing PL/SQL which does the submitcode(insert/update or what else is needed) and after that redirect to the wanted page. So that's a work around for incidental pages/functionality but is not the way to build an entire application.
Can this be confirmed/logged as a bug ?
are you using Windows Phone 7.0 or 7.5? Have you been able to reproduce the problem with the SDK emulator provided my Microsoft at http://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/downloadsdk or does it only reproduce on an actual device?
My Blog: http://www.inside-oracle-apex.com
APEX Plug-Ins: http://apex.oracle.com/plugins
I'm using WP 7.5
So far I haven't been able to get my hands on a 7.1 and/or 8 version phone ( when I do I will update this thread but maybe someone else who reads this can try with a WP8 on apex.oracle.com ) to test that but I did reproduce it on any WP 7.5 phone ( I've tested 4 different models ).
The problem can be reproduced using the SDK emulator.
I've also tested it with the emulator using apex.oracle.com to try to login and the problem is also ther, so I think it's a general problem and not related to my environment.
I have been able to reproduce this using the emulator included in version 7.1 of the SDK and have filed bug #15858237 to track this. I have also been able to narrow this down to some specific code in the apex.submit function, which was added in 4.2 to address a separate bug relating to browser autocomplete support for IE. I have no easy workaround for you currently, but will update the thread with any further progress and also have this added to our [url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/application-express/apex-42-known-issues-1863578.html]Known Issues page.
In one of your posts, you mentioned that you were able to workaround this by "manually program the submit code via a dynamic action on the button executing PL/SQL which does the submitcode(insert/update or what else is needed) and after that redirect to the wanted page". Can you expand on exactly what you did here?
Sorry you have hit this and thank you for taking the time to report it here.
thanks for filling the bug.
My work around consists of creating a dynamic action on a button which fires PL/SQL on click of the button.
So the button is set to run a dynamic action instead of submitting the form.
In the PL/SQL procedure I update or create the record, depending on what is needed, directly via an insert or update statement an not via calling apex.submit.
I only need to do this for a few pages which need to be accessed via mobile devices, otherwise this would cost me weeks/moths/years to alter all my pages. These pages are not authenticated so luckily there's no need for me to build a login mechanisme via this work around, I can image this would be also a challenge if you can't use the submit.
So I think my work around is only valid for specific pages/situation, otherwise it would involve too much coding.
If in the follow up of this ticket you need anyone to test it on a physical device just let me know.
Thanks for your reply. And yes indeed, the fact that page submission is broken can only be worked around so far, as this is truly integral functionality of APEX. I am still working on the bug and will keep this thread updated with progress.
Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Just to let you know, I have fixed the issue in our 4.2.1 patch release. I was also able to verify reproducing the bug, and the fix on a Windows Phone 8 device, for your information.
Thanks for your time in helping to identify this issue.