6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2012 12:00 PM by user10437903 RSS

Pro's and Con's for using ACFS for Software Library

user10437903
      I am about to install EM 12c Cloud Control 12.1.0.2. Does anyone have thoughts on Pro's and Con's to using ACFS for Software Library? Any other locations that you would use ACFS in 12c install? If not ACFS, then what would you recommend in Linux (OEL x86-64) environment?
        • 1. Re: Pro's and Con's for using ACFS for Software Library
          Pschwart-Oracle
          You might also consider storing the software library in the database using DBFS (available 11g R2).
          • 2. Re: Pro's and Con's for using ACFS for Software Library
            user10437903
            Linux x86-64 OS
            1 Server for OMS and Repository

OCFS2
            DBFS
            ACFS
            NFS
            EXT3 (local only not recommeded)
            ...others

Pro's and con's?
            Recommendations?
            • 3. Re: Pro's and Con's for using ACFS for Software Library
              Pschwart-Oracle
              NFS and DBFS are tested so these are fine. General purpose file systems should be OK as long as they have reasonable performance and support large files. I don't believe OCFS or ACFS are tested so I wouldn't recommend these; ACFS may not actually support the file types required for the software library.
              • 4. Re: Pro's and Con's for using ACFS for Software Library
                user10437903
                I don't see any certification for the Software Library File System. The recommendation is that the File System be accessible to all the OMS'. I have only one but Oracle recommends a Shared File System so in the event you add a new OMS, the transition will be easier. You say NFS and DBFS are tested. Does this mean that people, possible yourself, have tested these FS or does it mean that Oracle has tested these FS? If the latter than where is this documentation?

Does the Shared FS need to be a Clustered FS? I don't believe so but I thought I'd ask.

Lastly, I am not very familiar with DBFS. I watched video and it seems difficult to manage. What are the Pro's and Con's of NFS vs DBFS? I found a post from Frits Hoogland Weblog, could you address this in your pro's and con's. Are there any other options for Shared FS?

Frits Hoogland Weblog
                Jan says:

July 27, 2011 at 12:11 am

hey,
                we’ve got another use of dbfs (currently oracle content services):
                - +10 billion files
                - a large tier based infrastructure accessing these files
                - a mass of postprocessing instances doing signal analysis and postprocessing
                - client, role and user based security restrictions on folders (in nearly 2.000.000 folders)
                - easy role based access by application servers in the name of special or registered users (where these restrictions impact file access etc.)
                - webservice interfaces, ftp and of course native client interface

dbfs is nice to have for such environments but it’s “search” performance is not a big benefit in case of massive data updates/inserts. everything will be indexed and therefore the ocs/dbfs locks entries, locks security tables for updates etc. pp. and this takes a lot(!) of time. (“for update wait X” statements are such a performance killer…)

if you sipmly need a file system capable of storing files, restrictions etc. and accessing by applications (in userspace with multiple roles) like webservice etc. but don’t need to search for every attribute of these files/folders then dbfs is just the wrong decision.

Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Pro's and Con's for using ACFS for Software Library
                  Pschwart-Oracle
                  Oracle has tested accessing the software library from NFS storage, and I believe DBFS has been tested, as well. A cluster file system is not required; I would have to ask QA if any testing was done using OCFS2 of ACFS. See the Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Administration Guide  12c Release 2 (12.1.0.2 manual for details on software library storage.
                  You can also search Help->Enterprise Manager Help from the EM console for al ot of the same info.

Check here for info about DBFS:
                  http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14072_01/appdev.112/e10645/adlob_fs.htm
                  • 6. Re: Pro's and Con's for using ACFS for Software Library
                    user10437903
                    I appreciate the information. I am looking for more information about peoples experience on using NFS and DBFS. If the software library has to grow, what is the best way to accomplish this without redoing your filesystem.

What are the Pro's and Con's for using these FS for the Software Library?