This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2012 12:06 PM by 969994 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Help resolving public-yum.oracle.com with OEL 6.3 UEK from VMWare
    969994 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Unfortunately, I don't get any options during install that you mentioned. If so, I would have used them. I've tried it many times and same with RHEL 6.3. Just no options for me to choose from. Bizarre.
  • 16. Re: Help resolving public-yum.oracle.com with OEL 6.3 UEK from VMWare
    Avi Miller Guru
    966991 wrote:
    Unfortunately, I don't get any options during install that you mentioned. If so, I would have used them. I've tried it many times and same with RHEL 6.3. Just no options for me to choose from. Bizarre.
    That is odd. I always get those options using VirtualBox and VMware Fusion. Here is a step-by-step guide with screenshots too: http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/linux/oracle-linux-6-installation.php
  • 17. Re: Help resolving public-yum.oracle.com with OEL 6.3 UEK from VMWare
    Dude! Guru
    There is no way to look over your shoulder to see what you are typing into the machine, or to confirm that your problem analysis is correct. Ping is not a suitable tool to check the availability of hosts on the Internet.

Since wget is not available you are not using a default installation. However yum does not need wget to function. I suggest you provide the requested information, including the complete output of the command as typed and the result as it appaers on your screen.

<pre>
    su - root
    yum clean all
    yum -v repolist
    </pre>

If you can connect to your machine using a ssh client (PuTTY) to copy and paste the information, simply type it as it appears on screen. This is certainly not too much to ask for, and necessary to get any futher clues.
  • 18. Re: Help resolving public-yum.oracle.com with OEL 6.3 UEK from VMWare
    969994 Newbie
    Ah, very enlightening.

I see what you mean now....the screenshots look like the old versions.

Unfortunately, my installation does not have the GUIs as shown in the link you provided.

I now figure it has to be something to do with VMWare itself.

I'll try a few more installs to see if I get the GUI's like you mentioned.

This may be the reason why my YUM doesn't work either.

If all fails, I'll try the install on VirtualBox to see if I have the same problem.

Thanks for the screenshots....makes a whole lot of sense now.

If I get it working with a GUI install, I'll try YUM again and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help!!!
  • 19. Re: Help resolving public-yum.oracle.com with OEL 6.3 UEK from VMWare
    969994 Newbie
    OK, I figured it out (sort of) thanks to the screenshots.

During my install on a Windows 7 with VMWare Desktop, OEL 6.3 32-bit was installed from a DVD and right after anaconda there was a split second where there was a message stating:

X startup failed, falling back to text mode.

At first I never saw this message since it went straight to the GUI in tex mode stating whether to verify DVD, but after looking at the screenshots, I knew something was not the same. In this "text mode" version there is no option for any software packagers or installation options!!!!!

So now I tried using VirtualBox instead of VMWare on the same Windows 7 PC.

Sure enough, I got the GUI version without the X startup failure error and saw all the options you were talking about.

So then I went over to my Vista PC with the same VMware Desktop s/w installed and tried the installatin on that. Lo and behold that one worked as well!!!!

I then tried to use YUM straigt from the box after changing enabled=1 in the .repo file and everything worked fine!!!!

So now I have to debug my Windows 7 to see why my xdriver is failing during install. Since YUM did not work even after the text mode install, there must have been something wrong with the installation that may or may not be related to the X startup failure. Not sure it's that important now that I have OEL 6.3 installed, but curiosity killed the cat.

Anyway, I thougt I would let you know that the screenshots really helped me debug my issue.

Thanks!!!
  • 20. Re: Help resolving public-yum.oracle.com with OEL 6.3 UEK from VMWare
    Dude! Guru
    Nevertheless, GUI or not has nothing to do with your ability to contact the Oracle Public Yum software repository. As of Oracle Linux 6 a GUI desktop (Gnome) is not installed by default, unlike previous versions. Which is a complete separate issue. There is no need to enable anything in the default repository configuration file provided by the OL 6.3 installation. There is usually no issue to install the Desktop interface under Virtualbox or VMware. You may need to verify you have sufficient RAM and that your DVD download of the Oracle Linux installation has no defect.
  • 21. Re: Help resolving public-yum.oracle.com with OEL 6.3 UEK from VMWare
    Avi Miller Guru
    966991 wrote:
    So now I have to debug my Windows 7 to see why my xdriver is failing during install. Since YUM did not work even after the text mode install, there must have been something wrong with the installation that may or may not be related to the X startup failure. Not sure it's that important now that I have OEL 6.3 installed, but curiosity killed the cat.
    If you don't give your guest enough memory, it can't start X. Make sure you're giving your guest at least 2GB of RAM.
  • 22. Re: Help resolving public-yum.oracle.com with OEL 6.3 UEK from VMWare
    969994 Newbie
    Just an update for everyone.. (BTW, it was using at lot of RAM and the GUI installation never came up - stilll got startx error message)

Since I was on an HP 64-bit Windows 7 PC, I decided to use the Oracle x86_64 OS installation instead of the 32-bit version I was using. Lo and behold, it worked like a charm.

However, the yum repolist would not work due to timeout errors. After google searches I found that VMware NAT does not work under Windows 7. I tried to use the workaround but didn't want to spend too much time so never got it to work, but I did set my VM settings to use Bridged Networking instead of NAT. I could then get my yum updates without any problem and then after I got what I wanted, I then set my VM back to NAT and went on my merry way.

I'm sure there must be a way to get the 32-bit OEL 6.3 to install with the GUI but I decided I have a working installaton so I'm moving on.

Thanks again for all your help!
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points