This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 4:36 PM by dsurber RSS

JDBC DMS Metrics vs end-to-end metrics

TheOtherGuy Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
I am reading Oracle documentation http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/java.112/e16548/dmsmtrc.htm#JJDBC28902 and it says that end-to-end metrics are discouraged to use in JDBC 11 and JDBC DMS Metrics is recommended way to go going forward...

if this is true, how can I set end-to-end metrics (MODULE/ACTION/CLIENT_INFO/CLIENT_ID) using DMS? I was not able to find any examples.

thank you
  • 1. Re: JDBC DMS Metrics vs end-to-end metrics
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    am reading Oracle documentation http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/java.112/e16548/dmsmtrc.htm#JJDBC28902 and it says that end-to-end metrics are discouraged to use in JDBC 11 and JDBC DMS Metrics is recommended way to go going forward...
    >
    That isn't what that doc says. It says
    >
    Oracle strongly recommends using DMS metrics, if the application uses a DMS-enabled JAR file.
    >
    Meaning - don't use a DMS-enable JAR file if you want to use end-to-end metrics
    >
    if this is true, how can I set end-to-end metrics (MODULE/ACTION/CLIENT_INFO/CLIENT_ID) using DMS? I was not able to find any examples.
    >
    You can't - and the doc tells you that. The DMS metrics are different and are not backward compatible.
    >
    The metrics generated in the Oracle JDBC 11g release are different from 10.2, 10.1, 9.2, and earlier versions of Oracle JDBC as it makes no attempt to retain compatibility with earlier versions. There are also no compatibility modes. A system that is dependent on the exact details of the DMS metrics generated by earlier versions of JDBC may have unexpected behavior when processing the metrics generated by Oracle JDBC 11g. This is by design and cannot be changed.
    >
    If you need to use those specifi metrics you should either use the older JDBC jar file or use the newer jar file (but not the DMS jar file).

There aren't any other options that I am aware of.
  • 2. Re: JDBC DMS Metrics vs end-to-end metrics
    TheOtherGuy Journeyer
    I don't want to argue but the document clearly states

"if the application uses a DMS-enabled JAR file, the end-to-end metrics can be set only through DMS."

Assuming I am using JDBC DMS enabled 11.x JAR, I am asking how to set end-to-end metrics via DMS. I cannot find any reference to it. End-to-end API is used for database tracking and is important.

thank you
  • 3. Re: JDBC DMS Metrics vs end-to-end metrics
    rp0428 Guru
    If you need to use those specifi metrics you should either use the older JDBC jar file or use the newer jar file (but not the DMS jar file).

• 4. Re: JDBC DMS Metrics vs end-to-end metrics
    gimbal2 Guru
    rp0428 wrote:

Deja vu.
  • 5. Re: JDBC DMS Metrics vs end-to-end metrics
    dsurber Explorer
    The JDBC doc is correct, you can only set end-to-end metrics in a DMS enabled jar through DMS. How you go about that I don't know.

The DMS enabled jar file is used only in Oracle Application Server or recent versions of WebLogic Server. You shouldn't be using it in any other environment. Assuming you are in one of those environments I would guess there is some documentation associated with those products on how to set the end-to-end metrics. I know there are methods in DMS itself for setting the values but they may not be the right ones for customer code. They may be only for use by internal Oracle code. I really don't know.

I wish I could be more help, but this is an OAS or WLS question. JDBC is just a transport. It does whatever DMS tells it. Other parts of the Oracle stack depend on the end-to-end metrics. Stepping on those values may cause unexpected behavior. Be careful about setting the end-to-end metrics.

With respect to the "metrics are different in each release" documentation. This is also true but it is referring to the DMS metrics not the end-to-end metrics. DMS is a performance measuring system and collects a lot of statistics about the performance of different parts of the Oracle stack. The DMS statistics collected on JDBC varied from 9 to 10 to 11. But again, this is different from the end-to-end metrics which haven't changed since they were introduced.

Douglas

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points