This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2012 3:21 AM by 970295 RSS

OCA example questions on Oracle website

970295 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
May I ask those with more experience -- the sample OCA exam questions on the Oracle website (not any purchased practice test, just the 8 example questions) seem more devilish to me than any training materials or books I have read. The code is unformatted and unindented, deliberately tricky, static blocks popping up willy-nilly outside of methods and such, and for every question you just have to hack it out line by line. Whereas on practice tests I am scoring well, I got most of these samples wrong at first pass. There's not a single sample question there that's anything like the simple multiple choices I am getting in practice exams about basic concepts such as what is inheritance, what are interfaces, what is an abstract class, etc. etc. I guess my question is -- should I really be getting ready for 90 scary code-deciphering questions, even though my training materials reassure me I am doing just peachy? [I am keenly worried, by the way, about this question making it look like I don't like digging into troublesome code or that I am whining that it is "too hard."]

P.S. I am such a newbie I guess that I don't know basic things, but I am curious as to what the term "brain dump" means -- I have read on the forum that it is a form of cheating. I infer that it is basically training for exams by using quickie cheat-sheets instead of truly absorbing and knowing the material? Is that the definition? Why in heck would somebody want to get a certification that way if they couldn't actually do the work?

Best wishes to all.
  • 1. Re: OCA example questions on Oracle website
    bigdelboy Pro
    967292 wrote:
    May I ask those with more experience -- the sample OCA exam questions on the Oracle website (not any purchased practice test, just the 8 example questions) seem more devilish to me than any training materials or books I have read. The code is unformatted and unindented, deliberately tricky, static blocks popping up willy-nilly outside of methods and such, and for every question you just have to hack it out line by line. Whereas on practice tests I am scoring well, I got most of these samples wrong at first pass. There's not a single sample question there that's anything like the simple multiple choices I am getting in practice exams about basic concepts such as what is inheritance, what are interfaces, what is an abstract class, etc. etc. I guess my question is -- should I really be getting ready for 90 scary code-deciphering questions, even though my training materials reassure me I am doing just peachy? [I am keenly worried, by the way, about this question making it look like I don't like digging into troublesome code or that I am whining that it is "too hard."]

P.S. I am such a newbie I guess that I don't know basic things, but I am curious as to what the term "brain dump" means -- I have read on the forum that it is a form of cheating. I infer that it is basically training for exams by using quickie cheat-sheets instead of truly absorbing and knowing the material? Is that the definition? Why in heck would somebody want to get a certification that way if they couldn't actually do the work?

Best wishes to all.
    I sometimes refer, somewhat cynically as is my way, to the 8 or so samples questions as the 'beta rejects' ... questions that were tried on the beta exam but rejected for the production exam. From my memory (perhaps a little poor) some are less than perfect.

If you want background on braindumps try the following links:

http://www.certguard.com/information.asp
    https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0477
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=562#9

Edited by: bigdelboy on Oct 23, 2012 8:25 PM
  • 2. Re: OCA example questions on Oracle website
    matthew_morris Expert
    ...Whereas on practice tests I am scoring well, I got most of these samples wrong at first pass. There's not a single
    sample question there that's anything like the simple multiple choices I am getting in practice exams...
    You haven't supplied the specific test the practice questions are for, or the supplier of the practice tests you're comparing to, so I (or anyone) can't suggest which is closer to the actual exam. Speaking in general, OCA-level tests tend to have fairly straightforward questions and answers, OCP level tests less so, and OCE level tests is where you normally expect Oracle to put in really weird questions. The SQL Expert exam in particular is known for having questions and answers written specifically to be obscure.

but I am curious as to what the term "brain dump" means...
    The origin of the term is from when people would come straight out of a test, write down everything they could remember of the questions and answers, and then post this information online (i.e a dump of the information in their brain). From the way that sites selling this level of information has exploded, I suspect that the methods of getting the information out of the testing room are more sophisticated. However, even aside from the fact that using them is prohibited and can cost you any certifications you have, the quality of these materials is invariably low. I write study guides for Oracle certifications, and in my research I often run across bits and pieces of dump material. I've never seen any that I wouldn't call garbage.

Why in heck would somebody want to get a certification that way if they couldn't actually do the work?
    It is almost invariably people new to Oracle who are looking to quickly gain something to put on their resume that 'proves' they have Oracle knowledge. Presumably they think that is they are hired, they will be able to learn what they need to on the job. It doesn't work that way, but not everyone realizes that.
  • 3. Re: OCA example questions on Oracle website
    970295 Newbie
    I am both grateful for and reassured by the answers. I should have specified the exam is 1Z0-803. And really, I am a little sheepish at raising the point at all, since the samples truly are about things I should know.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points