This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2012 3:52 AM by Nicolas Wipfli - Oracle RSS

Installing 3TB SATA Disk on ST 2540

FERC Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello gurus,

Oracle manual tells me than ST2540 only support 2TB SATA Disk and didn't say nothing about 3TB SATA Disk, my question is: Could I install 3TB SATA disk on ST2540?

Waiting your help, I say bye...

Regards,
FERC
  • 1. Re: Installing 3TB SATA Disk on ST 2540
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    FERC wrote:
    Hello gurus,

Oracle manual tells me ...
    What is the date that the document was published?
    Did 3TB disks exist at that date? Were any manufacturers producing drives of that size when that document was published?

Sun (and now Oracle) do not go backwards and re-qualify parts for previous products.

A suggestion: If you have service contract coverage on that storage peripheral, then log a SR and ask the company directly. If you do not happen to have support coverage, then put the disk into the ST2540 and qualify its capabilities yourself.
  • 2. Re: Installing 3TB SATA Disk on ST 2540
    FERC Newbie
    Rukbat,

Thanks for your answer. My notes are:

What is the date that the document was published? These is a old document (Sun age). 2540 is EOL

Did 3TB disks exist at that date? No, It did not.

Were any manufacturers producing drives of that size when that document was published?
    3TB disks did not exist when 2540 was released.

Sun (and now Oracle) do not go backwards and re-qualify parts for previous products.

A suggestion: If you have service contract coverage on that storage peripheral, then log a SR and ask the company directly. If you do not happen to have support coverage, then put the disk into the ST2540 and qualify its capabilities yourself.
    I doesn't have a contract for this storage.

Thank you very much for your help...

Regards,
    FERC
  • 3. Re: Installing 3TB SATA Disk on ST 2540
    Nicolas Wipfli - Oracle Expert
    We started to support the 3TB drives in the 2540 with CAM 6.9 and the corresponding array firmware in this CAM release.

Regards
    Nicolas

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points