This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2012 3:37 AM by Mark BT52 RSS

Listener won't release connections

Mark BT52 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I'm getting "Exception occurred while getting connection: oracle.ucp.UniversalConnectionPoolException: All connections in the Universal Connection Pool are in use"
after a few seconds of single user use on my Apex (4.1) application.

Looking at the admin page I can see that the "active" connections have reached the max connections setting.
Problem is, the active sessions counter never reduces. I am just entering the demo app that comes with Apex going into orders and selecting one.

Trying exactly the same on my laptop with local listener and database set up the active connections are released and return to 0 when I do exactly the same.

The JDBC settings are as follows: Inital Pool 3, Min connections 1, max 10, Max statements 10, Inactivity TO 1800, Statement TO 900.

Increasing the max connections simply delays the problem.

Any ideas as to why the connections are not being released back into the pool? Thought it might be something wrong with the Apex install which was done for using the app server, but I can't see anything from the installation guide that helps.

Cheers
Mark
  • 1. Re: Listener won't release connections
    Udo Guru
    Hi Mark,

can you provide some additional information on your scenario, e.g. APEX Listener version, DB version, OS version, ...
    I am just entering the demo app that comes with Apex going into orders and selecting one.
    Trying exactly the same on my laptop with local listener and database set up the active connections are released and return to 0 when I do exactly the same.
    What do you mean with "local listener" or what would be the "remote listener" in your case?
    Thought it might be something wrong with the Apex install which was done for using the app server, but I can't see anything from the installation guide that helps.
    It's unlikely to be an issue in your APEX instance if a local connection doesn't cause the issue.
    But to get a grip on it, I really need some more input.

-Udo
  • 2. Re: Listener won't release connections
    Mark BT52 Newbie
    Apex listener 1.1.4.195.00.12
    DB 11.2
    Apex 4.1

Here is the log, as soon as I start using the demo app I get closed connection messages, and for each one I get an active connection in the admin console, until eventually there are none available.

Sometimes it seems to behave, but other times it doesn't work at all.

I have the listener running on an application server (stand alone). But if I have the listener running on my local PC it gives the same issues.

I have tried installing the db, apex, listener all on my laptop and the demo app works just fine with none of these closed connection messages

Log below:

c:\apexlstnr>java -jar apex.war
    INFO: Starting: C:\apexlstnr\apex.war
    See: 'java -jar apex.war --help' for full range of configuration options
    INFO: Extracting to: C:\Users\carym\AppData\Local\Temp\apex
    INFO: Using classpath: file:/C:/Users/carym/AppData/Local/Temp/apex/apex/____emb
    edded/start.jar:file:/C:/Users/carym/AppData/Local/Temp/apex/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ap
    ex.jar:file:/C:/Users/carym/AppData/Local/Temp/apex/apex/WEB-INF/lib/commons-fil
    eupload-1.2.1.jar:file:/C:/Users/carym/AppData/Local/Temp/apex/apex/WEB-INF/lib/
    je-4.0.103.jar:file:/C:/Users/carym/AppData/Local/Temp/apex/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ojd
    bc6.jar:file:/C:/Users/carym/AppData/Local/Temp/apex/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ojmisc.jar
    :file:/C:/Users/carym/AppData/Local/Temp/apex/apex/WEB-INF/lib/poi-3.6-20091214.
    jar:file:/C:/Users/carym/AppData/Local/Temp/apex/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ucp.jar:file:/
    C:/Users/carym/AppData/Local/Temp/apex/apex/WEB-INF/lib/xdb-11.2.0.jar:file:/C:/
    Users/carym/AppData/Local/Temp/apex/apex/WEB-INF/lib/xmlparserv2-11.2.0.jar:
    INFO: Starting Embedded Web Container in: C:\Users\carym\AppData\Local\Temp\apex

Oct 29, 2012 9:52:51 AM ____bootstrap.Deployer deploy
    INFO: Will deploy application path=C:\Users\carym\AppData\Local\Temp\apex\apex\W
    EB-INF\web.xml
    Oct 29, 2012 9:52:51 AM ____bootstrap.Deployer deploy
    INFO: deployed application path=C:\Users\carym\AppData\Local\Temp\apex\apex\WEB-
    INF\web.xml
    Using config file: C:\Users\carym\AppData\Local\Temp\apex\apex-config.xml
    -- listing properties --
    PropertyCheckInterval=60
    ValidateConnection=true
    MinLimit=1
    MaxLimit=10
    InitialLimit=3
    AbandonedConnectionTimeout=900
    MaxStatementsLimit=10
    InactivityTimeout=1800
    MaxConnectionReuseCount=1000
    APEX Listener version : null
    APEX Listener server info: Grizzly/1.9.18-o
    Oct 29, 2012 9:52:56 AM com.sun.grizzly.Controller logVersion
    INFO: Starting Grizzly Framework 1.9.18-o - Mon Oct 29 09:52:56 GMT 2012
    INFO: http://localhost:8080/apex started.
    Using JDBC driver: Oracle JDBC driver version: 11.2.0.2.0
    Closed Connection
    Closed Connection
    Closed Connection
    Closed Connection
    Closed Connection

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points