This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 8:26 AM by Roger25 RSS

1Z0-117: Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle Database 11g Release 2 SQL Tuning

Philippe Ludwig Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

I failed the 1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert" 3x and will take exam again in January 2012. I am 95% sure that I will pass this time :-)

Now my question: what after 1Z0-047? I have only have the know how from 1Z0-047. I do SQL scripts at my job, but no DBA work and no PL/SQL. So I guess the "Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle Database 11g Release 2 SQL Tuning" would be the logical next step?

Is "Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle Database 11g Release 2 SQL Tuning" too complicated for me (only have 1Z0-047 knowledge). Because I don't have experience with topics listed in objectives, mostly never heard of.

What study guide?
  • 1. Re: 1Z0-117: Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle Database 11g Release 2 SQL Tuning
    matthew_morris Expert
    So I guess the "Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle Database 11g Release 2 SQL Tuning" would be the logical next step?
    i would agree.

The Oracle Database 11g Release 2: SQL Tuning exam is still in beta until at least November 24, 2012. Betas have been known to be extended. Even if it is not, the production exam will not be available until mid-January 2013 or so. I've had exactly one experience with a beta test. I hated it and will never take another. There are few reasons to do so, and the largest (reduced cost) is immaterial for me because my company reimburses my testing costs, so I don't really care about the savings. They take several times as long to complete and I was a mess by the time I finished the one I did, with a roaring headache through much of the exam.

That said -- answering your question:

1Z0-047 is a really tricky test. The questions and answers are designed to be misleading. There's a reason for this. SQL, by its very nature, is a reasonably straightforward language. Part of its appeal is that it is easy to understand and write. If the people that wrote the test had not gone out of their way to make the SQL deliberately convoluted, then it would not have required 'expert' skills to pass. It is much harder to read and diagnose poorly written SQL than well-written SQL.

I also took the Application Express Expert test: 1Z0-450. The questions in it were not written in a deliberately confusing manner. However, they did require intimate knowledge of the Apex interface. Because it was possible to write 'hard' questions without having to deliberately make them more obscure, the questions were more straightforward. I have not taken the SQL Tuning exam (as I said... no more betas for me), but I suspect that it will be similar to 1Z0-450 in that there is sufficient 'expert-level' information to write questions about that the test will not try to write 'tricky' questions.

Is "Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle Database 11g Release 2 SQL Tuning" too complicated for me.
    Because I don't have experience with topics listed in objectives, mostly never heard of.
    You don't know what's in the test. This is wonderful news. Studying for the test will teach you lots of new things about writing and tuning SQL. In my posts one concept gets repeated over and over again. The value of a certification is not in getting a piece of paper to stick in a filing cabinet. The value comes in what new skills you gain in getting ready to pass the test. If you don't know the information and you don't study for the test, than yes, you won't pass it. If you prepare for the test until you do understand the objectives, then you should be able to pass the test.
    What study guide?
    None exist yet. There's no doubt that I will be writing a study guide for this exam. It won't be out until sometime after the test is in production. I don't publish guides for which I don't hold the certification. You don't have to wait for it though. You can use the exact same source I will use in creating it -- the Oracle documentation. I guarantee that every single topic on the OE page and every single question that is on the exam is answered somewhere in the documentation.
  • 3. Re: 1Z0-117: Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle Database 11g Release 2 SQL Tuning
    Roger25 Explorer
    What study guide? you can see here http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=5001&get_params=p_exam_id:1Z0-117&p_org_id=&lang= at Oracle University Training and Preparation section the courses which may help you

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points