This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 12:48 PM by Nik RSS

Question about RAID Controllers

970711 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Which Sun SPARC Servers come with preinstalled RAID controllers?

So far I've found that the SPARC and Netra T Series Servers come with an integrated RAID/disk controller with RAID 0 and 1, but I haven't found anything for the SuperCluster, the Enterprise M-series, or the x86 servers.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Question about RAID Controllers
    Nik Expert
    Hi.
    x86 Server- depend from ordered configuration. You can order RAID controller or not.
    Enterprise M-series. Don not support RAID controller for boot-device.
    SuperCluster based on servers T4-4, that have internal RAID controller, but not shure that used.

Current trend - use ZFS for boot-device. In this case Oracle recommend use ZFS-mirror pool instead internal RAID controller.

Regards.
  • 2. Re: Question about RAID Controllers
    970711 Newbie
    Thank you for your response. I did some more digging and found some information on the M-Series Servers, and apparently they do come with a RAID (SAS) controller.

"The Sun SPARC Enterprise M-Series also include an on-board SAS controller that supports RAID 1 with the use of Oracle Solaris."

Here is the link:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/systems-hardware-architecture/m-seriesarchitecture-163844.pdf?ssSourceSiteId=ocomen

Any thoughts?
  • 3. Re: Question about RAID Controllers
    Nik Expert
    Hi.

Open provided link.

Found:
    *The M3000 server's on-board SAS controller supports RAID 1 (mirroring) volumes using the Oracle
    Solaris OS raidctl utility.*

Additional link:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19867-01/E21618/Managing_Disks.html#50503696_pgfId-1022617

So corrected info:

M3000 - Have RAID.
    M4000; M5000 - No RAID.
    M8000; M9000 - It depend from installed type of IOUA card.

Regards.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points