This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2013 7:51 AM by user89686 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: ADF Mobile : task-flow navigation takes at least 500 milliseconds
    Jan Vervecken Journeyer
    Currently Being Moderated
    Thanks for your reply Joe Huang.
    Joe Huang wrote:
    ... The ADF Mobile UI framework itself has a built in ~500ms delay to allow page transition animation to occur. ...
    Not sure I understand, but is that a delay that could possibly be less? If so, maybe it could make sense to make this delay configurable?
    ... it's controlled by the "transition" property of the control flow case. You can set it to none and this 500ms would go away. ...
    To try this, I added some control-flow-cases with the "transition" property set to "none" in the modified example application
    at http://www.consideringred.com/files/oracle/2012/NavigationTimeMApp-v0.03.zip
    and as APK at http://www.consideringred.com/files/oracle/2012/navigationtimemapp-v0.03.apk

I don't see any significant changes in navigation time when using the buttons "do goSecondViewTransitionNone using a_TimerBean " and "do goFirstViewTransitionNone using a_TimerBean ", still about 450 milliseconds and more, similar to the buttons using control-flow-cases with "transition" property set (to "slideLeft" and "slideRight").

regards
    Jan
  • 16. Re: ADF Mobile : task-flow navigation takes at least 500 milliseconds
    Joe Huang Journeyer
    Hi, Jan:

The original title of this thread is navigation takes at least 500 ms, so I am confirming that the minimum time between page navigation would be around 500 ms to allow animation to happen. However, actual page rendering and transition would happen in parallel, so data retrieval/page loading occurs at the same time as the animation.

Any native iOS app would also need to introduce some wait time while the animation takes place. Sure you can turn off animation, but the experience would be very jerky. Also, I don't know if you can turn off animation in native apps - I would think so. If you do, perhaps it can perform page transition faster than ADF Mobile, but user experience would not be ideal. To get the proper transition in place, there is always a minimum transition time.

At the end of the day, mobile apps will need to get the data from the server, and realistically that's one area where you have to greatest potential for delays. This would occur regardless of the type of application you have. Naturally we would continue to improve the overall performance, but ultimately mobile apps are constraint by the network conditions, unless you build an app that talks to a local DB.

Thanks,

Joe Huang
  • 17. Re: ADF Mobile : task-flow navigation takes at least 500 milliseconds
    Jan Vervecken Journeyer
    Thanks for your reply Joe Huang.
    Joe Huang wrote:
    ... so I am confirming that the minimum time between page navigation would be around 500 ms to allow animation to happen ...
    and you previously wrote
    ... You can set it to none and this 500ms would go away. ...
    which I was trying to accomplish in NavigationTimeMApp-v0.03.zip (navigationtimemapp-v0.03.apk)
    ... At the end of the day, mobile apps will need to get the data from the server ... This would occur regardless of the type of application you have. ...
    Some use-cases could require to request the data over the network the first time some page is shown, but would require to use cached data (on the client, maybe even in memory) on subsequent times that page is shown (navigated to) again, until explicitly refreshed by the user. For such use-cases some navigation (the second time to an already visited page) could benefit from a shorter delay.

regards
    Jan Vervecken
  • 18. Re: ADF Mobile : task-flow navigation takes at least 500 milliseconds
    user89686 Newbie

I came across this thread looking for a different issue i have. When i tried to use a bean without any scope i am getting an error stating EL expression could not find the prefix and my page is not getting loaded. Can some one please explain is there any change i need to make in the amx page to use a bean without the scope? (I am using the name of the bean the one i have mentioned in my taskflow and the bean is having pageflow scope).

Please note that i installed v04 of NavigationTimeMApp and it is working fine without the scope prefix.

Let me know if i need to create a a different thread to ask this question.

• 19. Re: ADF Mobile : task-flow navigation takes at least 500 milliseconds
    Frank Nimphius Employee ACE

Hi,

plageFlowScope as a scope need always to be prefixed in the EL. Please in the future, open your own threads especially if the question is different from the original question

Frank

• 20. Re: ADF Mobile : task-flow navigation takes at least 500 milliseconds
    user89686 Newbie

But as i mentioned the code uploaded by the OP has EL without the prefix. And it is working when i deploy that to a Android Emulator. But my code is not working.

Sure, i will make sure i create new thread for any new questions.

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points