This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 7:49 AM by rukbat RSS

Serial number StorEdge 3300

422096 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Good afternoon,
In my lab, we are working with some V440 machines, connected to StorEdge 3300 disks.
For transportation reasons, we would like to know the serial number of those external disks.

I have already tried to use "format" command on the machine where the external disk is connected to (using the "inquiry" command):
format> inquiry
Vendor:   FUJITSU
Product:  MAP3367N SUN36G
Revision: 0401
Is this the correct way? Is "MAP3367N SUN36G" indeed the serial number of the whole StorEdge 3300?

Thanks
Dominique
  • 1. Re: Serial number StorEdge 3300
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    scampsd wrote:
    Is this the correct way? Is "MAP3367N SUN36G" indeed the serial number of the whole StorEdge 3300?
    No.
    That is the `type` that was placed by the format command onto one of the 36GB drives that happens to be inside that array enclosure. No more, no less.

Disk serial numbers are rarely used for any service entitlement (if that is an eventual goal of your inquiry to the hardware). But ...

While attempting to interpret your actual forum question:
    If you are simply trying to get some sort of hardware information that is somewhat unique to each disk drive, then try to use iostat instead.
    <pre>iostat -En</pre>
    may get you the information you want.
    At least, give it a try and compare its output with what you have already tried. Compare iostat's output with what might actually be printed on a disk's paper manufacturer's label.
  • 2. Re: Serial number StorEdge 3300
    422096 Newbie
    Good afternoon,
    Rukbat, thanks for your quick response, but unfortunately, I'm not looking for the serial numbers of the separate disks within the StorEdge, but the serial number of the StorEdge itself.

Do you have any idea how to get that?
    Thanks in advance
    Dominique
  • 3. Re: Serial number StorEdge 3300
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    It would seem that the array documentation is of some help.
    Glance through the Sun StorEdge 3000 Family CLI 2.5 User’s Guide:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19673-01/817-4951-18/817-4951-18.pdf

I found that here:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19673-01/index.html

It seems that the sccli command line utility can possibly get you to where you might want to be. See Chapter #1 of that document where it describes how to log into the array.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points