This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2012 5:24 PM by 970981 RSS

Write I/O performance slow in RAC on SAN

970981 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Currently building a new 11.2.0.3 RAC on OL6.

I am using ASM on top of a SAN that is exposing 4x2TB LUNS to the 3 nodes, as the DATA disk group.
The nodes are communicating over 10gb isci to the SAN.

async_io=true
filesystemio_options=setall

When creating a test table space I am only seeing about 3-5 mb/s write throughput from Oracle. When testing with ioZone tool to write 8k block size files on to the drives
I am seeing ~115 mb/s throughput.

I have verified that DBWR is calling io_submit by using strace on the process.

Not sure where to go from here with troubleshooting?

Thanks.

Edited by: mosho88 on Oct 29, 2012 12:43 PM
  • 1. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    sb92075 Guru
    user4721711 wrote:
    Currently building a new 11.2.0.3 RAC on OL6.

I am using ASM on top of a SAN that is exposing 4x2TB LUNS to the 3 nodes, as the DATA disk group.
    The nodes are communicating over 10gb isci to the SAN.

async_io=true
    filesystemio_options=setall

When creating a test table space I am only seeing about 3-5 mb/s write throughput from Oracle. When testing with ioZone tool to write 8k block size files on to the drives
    I am seeing ~115 mb/s throughput.
    post SQL that populates the table.
    post SQL & results that shows the 3 - 5 MB/s

Have you performed the same test without SAM and/or ASM
  • 2. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    970981 Newbie
    Sql to create the tablespace:

CREATE BIGFILE TABLESPACE TEST_TBS NOLOGGING
    DATAFILE '+DATA' SIZE 100G
    AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 10G
    BLOCKSIZE 8K

I am using the script located at http://oracle8dba.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/asmperf1.doc to gather the timings over a 60 second window.

Output from one of the runs showing 24 mb/s which is 6mb/s for each of the 4 disks in the group.

DISKGROUP_NAME READS WRITES READ_MB/s WRITE_MB/s READ_AVG_SPEED_MSEC WRITE_AVG_SPEED_MSEC AVG_RESP_TIME_MSEC
    DATA 652 1628 0.1 24.4 0.26 2.750 2.040

Plan is on Monday to create a storage area off the SAN and test and ASM diskgroup to filesystem, then test with out ASM + SAN to benchmark that.

Thanks.
  • 3. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    JohnWatson Guru
    I would try the built-in disc calibration facility. Run a script something like this:
    var al number
    var mi number
    var mm number
    exec dbms_resource_manager.calibrate_io(num_physical_disks=>4,max_iops=>:mi,max_mbps=>:mm,actual_latency=>:al)
    print al
    print mi
    print mm
    That should show the results for a "typical" database workload. Ther results are often surprising. You may find that a daabase on your laptop out performs something an a massive SAN.
  • 4. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    In addition to John's suggestion, you may also want to look at Orion ,
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/index-089595.html

And SLOB
    http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/introducing-slob-the-silly-little-oracle-benchmark/

HTH
    Aman....
  • 5. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    JohnWatson Guru
    I just ran exactly that routine on my laptop (which has one disc, not four) with these results:
    orcl> print al

AL
    ----------

orcl> print mi

MI
    ----------

orcl> print mm

MM
    ----------

orcl>
  • 6. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    970981 Newbie
    Thanks for the suggestions, I ran the i/o calibration routine, here are the results

AL
    --

MI
    ----

MM
    ---

So it looks like the SAN is capable of much more than 24 mb/s, is it possible that the CREATE TABLESPACE just doesn't push that many writes per second?

I am downloading Orion and SLOB to give them a try.

Thanks
  • 7. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    970981 Newbie
    After poking around further it seems that I/O is not slow, but I/O done in response to a CREATE statement, i.e. CREATE TABLESPACE
    CREATE TABLE results in a "Datafile init write" wait on the SYSTEM tablespace and the creating session blocks on this wait.
  • 8. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    JohnWatson Guru
    Does that mean that performance is OK? I wouldn't think that you will be running CREATE often on the live system.

But just in general, I would suggest that you ask for 8 or 16 LUNs for an 8T disc group. That will give ASM much better parallelism (which might correspond more closely to the underlying number of spindles) and will reduce the "required mirror free" space too.
    Also, what alloction unit are you using? I use 4M now, not the 1M default. And of course you must create your tablespaces with uniform size, perhaps 8M, so that your segment extent boundaries will always align with the file extents.
  • 9. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    Dude! Guru
    Output from one of the runs showing 24 mb/s which is 6mb/s for each of the 4 disks in the group.
    ASM is not RAID and functions on the concept of disk failure groups and available free space.

I would consider 24 or even 115 mb/s a very slow performance for a modern SAN system. 115 MB/s is what you should see on 1 Gigabit interface, but not 10gb iScsi as you wrote.

I suggest to verify your network and SAN configuration. Perhaps you have a bad cable, bad firmware, bad switch or bad configuration of the system.

Here is an interesting article to verify async io in Oracle database.
    http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/doing-synchronous-io-on-asm/
  • 10. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    970981 Newbie
    It does seem like the SAN is capable of much more. When I ran the diagnostic that JohnWatson suggested, the RAC was able to produce these numbers

avg response = 19ms

max io operations = 2485

max mb/s = 365

In reading the description of that procedure it seems to only use reads od DB_BLOCK_SIZE ? So maybe it is only write performance that is suffering. After testing more it seems to be pretty stable around 10mb/s per create statement, that is if I can get 3 creates running, one on each node I see about 30mb/s throughput, 2 ~ 20mb/s 1 ~ 10mb/s

I did read that article you suggested and performed the tests and verified that asyn i/o is on, I am beginning to think that CREATE statements perform sync i/o and that is just the way it is. But if this is the performance to expect from CREATE TABLESPACE, we are looking at ~50 hours to pre-allocate our 2TB production space...

Thanks
  • 11. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    Dude! Guru
    Also keep in mind that you cannot get 300 MB/s throughput when creating 1 MB of data.
  • 12. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    970981 Newbie
    This statement has now been running for about 20hrs

CREATE BIGFILE TABLESPACE TEST_TBS
    DATAFILE '+DATA'
    SIZE 2T

and I/O throughput remains steady at ~10-12mb/s

The plan today is to try to write to the SAN from one of our single instance servers and benchmark speed from another rack and single node instance.

Thanks
  • 13. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Hi,
    I have faced some performance I/O issues when using ASM, but on all diagnose that realized problem was on OS or Storage level.

When using ISCI and RAC we must be aware about latency of I/O, on this scenary the latency usually be the villain of the story.

Generally I discard tests sequential reads or writes, because the characteristics of OLPT database is massive amount of writes/reads of small blocks randomly, is not a rule, but you can believe that if the random writes and reads are acceptable then the readings and writes sequential are excelent.

So, one of the big mistakes is to focus the problem on ASM when talking about I/O perfomance, I recommend you first focus on OS and Storage layer, if you make sure that I/O perfomance is acceptable then diagnose ASM. This is because the ASM is only a layer that depends exclusively on the OS and Storage performance.

I recommend you use ORION, because he is a tool for predicting the performance of an Oracle database, unlike other I/O calibration tools, Oracle Orion is expressly designed for simulating Oracle database I/O workloads using the same I/O software stack as Oracle. Orion can also simulate the effect of striping performed by Oracle Automatic Storage Management.

For each type of workload, Orion can run tests using different I/O loads to measure performance metrics such as MBPS, IOPS, and I/O latency. Load is expressed in terms of the number of outstanding asynchronous I/Os. Internally, for each such load level, the Orion software keeps issuing I/O requests as fast as they complete to maintain the I/O load at that level. For random workloads, using either large or small sized I/Os, the load level is the number of outstanding I/Os.

PS: Using Orion to write tests will obliterate all data on the specified LUNS.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16638/iodesign.htm#PFGRF95222

As you are using RAC you should make two test separately, because ORION does not simulate I/O concurrence on a Cluster.

When you get report of ORION, make a second test using DBMS_RESOURCE_MANAGER.CALIBRATE_IO with all instance active.
    This statement has now been running for about 20hrs

CREATE BIGFILE TABLESPACE TEST_TBS
    DATAFILE '+DATA'
    SIZE 2T

and I/O throughput remains steady at ~10-12mb/s
    Also try change filesystemio_options=setall to filesystemio_options=asynch :
    Because, when setting the filesystemio_options=asynch you are forcing the use of the file system cache and not writing physically on the disk.
    This is because with Asynchronous I/O in use, the system call will return immediately once the I/O request has been passed down to the hardware or queued in the operating system, typically before the physical I/O operation has even begun.
    In this case, Async I/O is much faster than Direct IO or Concurrent IO, however, it does not verify that the data is physically written to disk for which we rely on the OS.

Regards,
    Levi Pereira
  • 14. Re: Write I/O performance to slow in RAC on ASM
    Dude! Guru
    Why not simply trying a dd command to see what throughput you get:

<pre>
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/san/u10/testfile bs=10G count=1
    </pre>

You have also the hdparm command:

<pre>
    hdparm -tT /dev/sda
    </pre>

This should give you some idea what the OS/SAN can approx. achieve.

You can also copy a file between the OS and ASM to see what you get (asmcmd).

It might help you to get a clue whether the problem is OS or database. Do you have any local storage? What are the results create a datafile on a local disk?
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points