This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2013 11:23 PM by Vijay89 RSS

Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException

971062 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am facing an issue with a step mentioned in "Oracle Endeca Guided Search Getting started" Guided . The issue is related to :

Guide Name:- Oracle Endeca Guided Search Getting Started Guide
Section:- Verifying your installation with the JSP reference application

I am following the below steps:

To verify an Endeca setup with the internal Endeca JSP reference application:
1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. In the Address box, enter the following URL:
http://WorkbenchHost:8006/endeca_jspref
Replace WorkbenchHost with the name of the machine that is running Oracle Endeca Workbench.
If you used a different port when you configured Oracle Endeca Workbench, substitute that port
for 8006.
This URL brings you to a page with a link called ENDECA-JSP Reference Implementation.

3. Click the ENDECA-JSP Reference Implementation link.

4. Enter the host name and port of the machine that the MDEX Engine is running on. For example,
enter localhost and 15000. Click Go.

When I click on Go, I am getting the below exception when trying to verify the JSP reference application:

status >> invalid ENE location
ENEConnectionException
com.endeca.navigation.ENEConnectionException: Error establishing connection to retrieve Navigation Engine request 'http://localhost:15000/graph?node=0&offset=0&nbins=10&irversion=620'. Connection refused: connect

Can you please help me out to figure out the root cause of the issue ?

Regards,
Sachin Kakkar
  • 1. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    971062 Newbie
    Here is the exact exception which I am getting:

ENEConnectionException
    com.endeca.navigation.ENEConnectionException: Error establishing connection to retrieve Navigation Engine request 'http://localhost:15000/graph?node=0&offset=0&nbins=10&irversion=614'. Connection refused: connect

Regards,
    Sachin Kakkar
  • 2. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    TimK Explorer
    Hey Sachin,

What version of MDEX are you running?

Have you run initialize services and baseline update on an application that is configured to listen on port 15000?
  • 3. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    971062 Newbie
    Hi Timk,

PFB the answers to your question. Let me know if you need any other information to assist me in fixing this issue.

What version of MDEX are you running?
    [Sachin]:- 6.2.2

Have you run initialize services and baseline update on an application that is configured to listen on port 15000?
    [Sachin]:- Yes

Regards,
    Sachin Kakkar
  • 4. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    TimK Explorer
    Your Presentation APIs are out of synch with your MDEX installation.

Two ways to remedy - put the 6.2.2 Presentation API files into your workbench endeca_jspref lib directory (and remove the 6.1.4 version that's there by default).

Or try to set your Dgraph settings with the backwards compatible flag. That will get you running, but I'm not sure what the cons are with this approach as a production solution.

Add this to your dgraph args in AppConfig:
    --back_compat 614

-Tim
  • 5. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    971062 Newbie
    Hey Tim,

Tried both the options specified by you but no success. But can see a difference between the previous and new exception:

Old Exception:
    ENEConnectionException
    com.endeca.navigation.ENEConnectionException: Error establishing connection to retrieve Navigation Engine request 'http://localhost:15000/graph?node=0&offset=0&nbins=10&irversion=614'. Connection refused: connect

==========================================================================================================

New Exception:-

ENEConnectionException
    com.endeca.navigation.ENEConnectionException: Error establishing connection to retrieve Navigation Engine request 'http://localhost:15000/graph?node=0&offset=0&nbins=10&irversion=620'. Connection refused: connect

The value of inversion parameter has changed from 614 to 620. But the actual issue still exists. After modifying the AppConfig I even restarted the Endeca Http Service and Http Tools Service but no success.

Regards,
    Sachin Kakkar
  • 6. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    TimK Explorer
    Can you get to http://localhost:15000/admin?
  • 7. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    971062 Newbie
    No I can't. So you are pointing towards the port issue, if the dgraph is running or not on port 15000. There are so many steps in Oracle Endeca search installation which have really confused me(anyone would get confused after following so many steps :-) ). At this point, I am not able to figure out the place where I should go and check whether the service is up on 15000 port or not.

Regards,
    Sachin Kakkar
  • 8. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    971062 Newbie
    The value of the environment variable ENDECA_ROOT in my machine is:

C:\Endeca\PlatformServices\6.1.3

Is that correct ? Shouldn't it point to MDEX rather than PlatformServices ? Not sure if this has anything to do with my issue.

Regards,
    Sachin Kakkar
  • 9. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    TimK Explorer
    You mentioned that you had run initialize services.

Next, run load_baseline_test_data.sh (or bat)

Then run baseline_update.sh (or bat)

These should all run with no errors in the console. If errors, then there are generally some suggestions on which logs will have the detailed info.
  • 10. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    TimK Explorer
    Your value for ENDECA_ROOT is correct.
  • 11. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    971062 Newbie
    Yes I have run the below in order and didnt find any error in console. The console windows got closed after processing. Didnt see any error in console window.

initialize_services.bat
    load_baseline_test_data.bat
    baseline_update.bat

Regards,
    Sachin Kakkar
  • 12. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    TimK Explorer
    I usually open a command prompt, navigate to your application control directory and then run the script. That way the console window stays open so you can see the results.

After the fact, I'd look at the following logs first:
    logs/forges/Forge - these logs will show you results from the pipeline forge process
    logs/dgraphs/Dgraph1 - these logs show the Dgraph process messages

Let me validate something -
    localhost is the ITL server which also hosts Workbench.
    What server do you host the Dgraph engines on? Can you validate that it or they are on the localhost as well?
  • 13. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    971062 Newbie
    Oops I can see an exception MyApp0.0 log file in directory:- C:\Endeca\apps\MyApp\logs

SEVERE: Error communicating with EAC agent while starting component.
    Occurred while executing line 32 of valid BeanShell script:
    [[

29| Forge.archiveLogDir();
    30| Forge.run();
    31| Dgidx.archiveLogDir();
    32| Dgidx.run();
    33|
    34| // distributed index, update Dgraphs
    35| DistributeIndexAndApply.run();

]]

Oct 28, 2012 2:49:17 PM com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.Controller execute
    SEVERE: Caught an exception while invoking method 'run' on object 'BaselineUpdate'. Releasing locks.
    java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
         at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
         at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.Controller.invokeRequestedMethod(Controller.java:923)
         at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.Controller.execute(Controller.java:208)
         at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.Controller.main(Controller.java:87)
    Caused by: com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.exception.AppControlException: Error executing valid BeanShell script.
         at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.script.Script.runBeanShellScript(Script.java:132)
         at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.script.Script.run(Script.java:80)
         ... 7 more
    Caused by: com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.exception.EacCommunicationException: Error communicating with EAC agent while starting component.
         at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.component.Component.start(Component.java:153)
         at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.component.BatchComponent.run(BatchComponent.java:66)
         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
         at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
         at bsh.Reflect.invokeMethod(Unknown Source)
         at bsh.Reflect.invokeObjectMethod(Unknown Source)
         at bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Unknown Source)
         at bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(Unknown Source)
         at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(Unknown Source)
         at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(Unknown Source)
         at bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(Unknown Source)
         at bsh.BSHBlock.eval(Unknown Source)
         at bsh.BSHIfStatement.eval(Unknown Source)
         at bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(Unknown Source)
         at bsh.BSHIfStatement.eval(Unknown Source)
         at bsh.Interpreter.eval(Unknown Source)
         at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.script.Script.runBeanShellScript(Script.java:118)
         ... 8 more
    Caused by: An error occurred while trying to start the component: ENDECA_MDEX_ROOT is required for this component,but eac.properties does not contain a valid ENDECA_MDEX_ROOT definition.: ENDECA_MDEX_ROOT is required for this component,but eac.properties does not contain a valid ENDECA_MDEX_ROOT definition.
         at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
         at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
         at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
         at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
         at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:355)
         at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:308)
         at org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.BeanDeserializer.<init>(BeanDeserializer.java:104)
         at org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.BeanDeserializer.<init>(BeanDeserializer.java:90)
         at com.endeca.eac.client.EACFault.getDeserializer(EACFault.java:75)
         at org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.BaseDeserializerFactory.getSpecialized(BaseDeserializerFactory.java:154)
         at org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.BaseDeserializerFactory.getDeserializerAs(BaseDeserializerFactory.java:84)
         at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.getDeserializer(DeserializationContext.java:464)
         at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.getDeserializerForType(DeserializationContext.java:547)
         at org.apache.axis.message.SOAPFaultDetailsBuilder.onStartChild(SOAPFaultDetailsBuilder.java:157)
         at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.startElement(DeserializationContext.java:1035)
         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(AbstractSAXParser.java:501)
         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(AbstractXMLDocumentParser.java:179)
         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:377)
         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:2747)
         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:648)
         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:140)
         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:510)
         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:807)
         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:737)
         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:107)
         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1205)
         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:522)
         at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.parse(SAXParser.java:395)
         at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.parse(DeserializationContext.java:227)
         at org.apache.axis.SOAPPart.getAsSOAPEnvelope(SOAPPart.java:696)
         at org.apache.axis.Message.getSOAPEnvelope(Message.java:435)
         at org.apache.axis.handlers.soap.MustUnderstandChecker.invoke(MustUnderstandChecker.java:62)
         at org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient.invoke(AxisClient.java:206)
         at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invokeEngine(Call.java:2784)
         at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2767)
         at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2443)
         at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2366)
         at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:1812)
         at com.endeca.eac.client.ComponentControlPortSOAPBindingStub.startComponent(ComponentControlPortSOAPBindingStub.java:263)
         at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.component.Component.start(Component.java:149)
         ... 31 more
    Oct 28, 2012 2:49:17 PM com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.base.LockManager releaseLock
    INFO: Released lock 'update_lock'.

Guess the the below extract from above has something to do with the issue:

Caused by: An error occurred while trying to start the component: ENDECA_MDEX_ROOT is required for this component,but eac.properties does not contain a valid ENDECA_MDEX_ROOT definition.: ENDECA_MDEX_ROOT is required for this component,but eac.properties does not contain a valid ENDECA_MDEX_ROOT definition.

Regards,
    Sachin Kakkar
  • 14. Re: Oracle Guided Endeca Guided Search - ENEConnectionException
    TimK Explorer
    For grins, can you post what's in your AppConfig for the following sections:

<dgraph-cluster id="DgraphCluster" getDataInParallel="true">
    </dgraph-cluster>

and

<!--
    ########################################################################
    # Dgraphs
    #
    -->
    <dgraph id="Dgraph1" host-id="MDEXHost" port="21000">
    </dgraph>
1 2 Previous Next

Legend