This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2012 1:19 PM by Brandye Barrington RSS

11g OCA for 10g OCP? 11g OCP to 10g OCP?

Dird Pro
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I earned the 11g OCA certification a couple years ago and I'm planning on doing OCP training & the exam next year. I'm wondering if any of the above are possible?
I know you can get 10g OCP then take a new features exam for 11g OCP but is it possible the other way? e.g. do 11g OCP exam then just take the 10g exam and use the same training to count towards both exams?

If not is it possible to use my 11g OCA and then take the 10g OCP exam (where I could take the new features exam to upgrade to 11g after). The certification path for 10g OCP just says "STEP 1 - PRIOR CERTIFICATION: Oracle Certified Associate"...not specifically 10g OCA.

Thanks for any clarity.

Mike
  • 1. Re: 11g OCA for 10g OCP? 11g OCP to 10g OCP?
    bigdelboy Pro
    Dird wrote:
    Hi,

I earned the 11g OCA certification a couple years ago and I'm planning on doing OCP training & the exam next year. I'm wondering if any of the above are possible?
    I know you can get 10g OCP then take a new features exam for 11g OCP but is it possible the other way? e.g. do 11g OCP exam then just take the 10g exam and use the same training to count towards both exams?

If not is it possible to use my 11g OCA and then take the 10g OCP exam (where I could take the new features exam to upgrade to 11g after). The certification path for 10g OCP just says "STEP 1 - PRIOR CERTIFICATION: Oracle Certified Associate"...not specifically 10g OCA.

Thanks for any clarity.

Mike
    To get 10g DBA OCP you would need to take 1z0-042 and 1z0-043. IMHO Unless you already have (or cn only cheaply obtain, which may be the case for certain WDP) 10g DBA OCP training that is not eligible for 11g DBA it isn't generaly woth it.

On top of that the 12c will be out soon. ( 12/12/12 it ought to be .... but I think Larry has hinted early 2013 or something). So an option would be to study/take/pass the 1z0-053 now ::
    - Next year take the training for 12c new featues (which will probably be an elidigble 12c course) or some other eligible course that takes your fancy. ( The only reason not to do this would be if your could identify a suitable WDP training provider).

NB: I typically only suggest WDP because it is cheap .... I m incredibly concerned about the quaility of some (not all) WDP providers ... I doubt they could teach a fish to swim and they'd probably eat it first anyway.

Edited by: bigdelboy on 30-Oct-2012 14:07 " (which will probably be an elidigble 12c course) " should have said "(which will probably be an elidigble 11g DBA OCP course) "
  • 2. Re: 11g OCA for 10g OCP? 11g OCP to 10g OCP?
    Dird Pro
    What's WDP? Does it actually say somewhere that you have to do 1z0-042 and cant have done 052 instead (using my 11g OCA towards it)?

My training would be an official Oracle training program valid towards OCP. If my 11 OCA could count towards 10 OCP then that would be best (upgrade twice & i could have OCP in 3 versions~)

Mike
  • 3. Re: 11g OCA for 10g OCP? 11g OCP to 10g OCP?
    matthew_morris Expert
    I know you can get 10g OCP then take a new features exam for 11g OCP but is it possible the other way?
    e.g. do 11g OCP exam then just take the 10g exam and use the same training to count towards both exams?
    There is an upgrade test to provide someone with a 10G OCP certification with 11G OCP credentials.
    There is no 'downgrade' test to provide someone who holds an 11G OCP with 10G OCP credentials.

The only reason you can 'skip' taking 1Z0-052 and 1Z0-053 when upgrading from 10G to 11G is because the exam 1Z0-050 exists. There is no equivalent test for bypassing 1Z0-042 and 1Z0-043 in a move backward -- therefore you can not do it.

The certification path for 10g OCP just says "STEP 1 - PRIOR CERTIFICATION: Oracle Certified Associate"...not specifically 10g OCA.
    Does it actually say somewhere that you have to do 1z0-042 and cant have done 052 instead (using my 11g OCA towards it)?
    It's not going to happen, but I suspect you won't be satisfied until Brandye chimes in with an official 'No'. She will shortly.

What's WDP?
    Workforce Development Program. It's a set of schools that are licensed to teach Oracle courses. As bigdelboy indicated, the quality of this training varies greatly between providers.
  • 4. Re: 11g OCA for 10g OCP? 11g OCP to 10g OCP?
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    Good point about the website - it is unclear. We are getting that updated.

1. You cannot use 11g DBA OCA as the OCA prerequisite for 10g DBA OCP. If you want 10g DBA OCP, you should first obtain 10g DBA OCA.
    2. You cannot go backwards from 11g DBA OCP to 10g DBA OCP. If you want 10g DBA OCP, you would need to take the 10g OCA and OCP exams - 042 and 043. However, you would not be required to complete additional training.

Regards,
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator
  • 5. Re: 11g OCA for 10g OCP? 11g OCP to 10g OCP?
    980182 Newbie
    I passed OCA exam few days ago. Probably will do 1z0-053 in few months. The problem is 11g OCP requires to take one of the Oracle cources. The cheapest i've seen - $2000. I'm not going to pay that's much for OCP. Is there any other way?
    If not i should upgrade my old 8i OCP to 9i/10g and then 11g but i hate to do this.

Thanks,

Alex
  • 6. Re: 11g OCA for 10g OCP? 11g OCP to 10g OCP?
    bigdelboy Pro
    977179 wrote:
    I passed OCA exam few days ago. Probably will do 1z0-053 in few months. The problem is 11g OCP requires to take one of the Oracle cources. The cheapest i've seen - $2000. I'm not going to pay that's much for OCP. Is there any other way?
    If not i should upgrade my old 8i OCP to 9i/10g and then 11g but i hate to do this.

Thanks,

Alex
    If you are already 8i DBA OCP that is sufficient pre-requisite lin lieu of the training, you will not have to take a further training course.

Please confirm your 8i DBA OCP is recorded in Certview .... because that is a pre-requisite!!!
  • 7. Re: 11g OCA for 10g OCP? 11g OCP to 10g OCP?
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    To check that your certification record is in CertView, go to certview.oracle.com.

But FIRST, you will need to have a Pearson VUE web account and an Oracle Web account.
    1. If do not already have a Pearson VUE web account, go to pearsonvue.com/oracle and create one.
    a. Be sure that you use the Oracle Testing ID (Prometric ID) and contact information used in your old account, when you registered for your 8i exams. This is the info that Oracle would have imported from Prometric.
    b. If you Pearson VUE assigns you a new Oracle Testing ID (it would be a number starting with 'OC') for any reason, you will need to go to pearsonvue.com/oracle/idmerge to get the IDs merged.
    2. Then go to myprofile.oracle.com to create your Oracle web account.
    a. If you already have an Oracle web account, simply wait 60 minutes and go to step 3.
    b. If you already have an Oracle web account but need help retrieving your username and password, go here https://myprofile.oracle.com/EndUser/faces/profile/findUsername.jspx.
    3. Wait at least 60 minutes after you have created your Pearson VUE account (to allow time for the data to refresh in the Oracle database) and then go to certview.oracle.com and authenticate your account and login with your Oracle web account information.
    a. you will only need to authenticate your account one time.
    b. you will authenticate your account using the Oracle testing ID and email address that is in your Pearson VUE profile.

Regards,
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points