This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2012 9:15 PM by Sergiusz Wolicki (Oracle) RSS

Data Dictionary Conversion Summary LOSSY data

936749 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
We're migrating databases from HP-UX to a new server and we're at the same time changing the character set of databases not running UTF8.
I executed csscan to check conversion from our existing database 10.2.0.5 with ISO character set to new database on a new server with 11.2.0.3 and UTF8.
In the csscan report I get information about 3 lossy CLOB characters in the data dictionary.

My question is this:
Could the lossy in my data dictionary create any problems when migrating as described above and using schema import into new database with datapump?
Regards
  • 1. Re: Data Dictionary Conversion Summary LOSSY data
    936749 Newbie
    933746 wrote:
    Hi,
    We're migrating databases from HP-UX to a new server and we're at the same time changing the character set of databases not running UTF8.
    I executed csscan to check conversion from our existing database 10.2.0.5 with ISO character set to new database on a new server with 11.2.0.3 and UTF8.
    In the csscan report I get information about 3 lossy CLOB characters in the data dictionary.

My question is this:
    Could the lossy in my data dictionary create any problems when migrating as described above and using schema import into new database with datapump?
    Regards
    It's the "WRH$_SQLTEXT" table who has 3 CLOB's that I can't convert.

I did find a "solution" for it by dropping dropping tuning sets/baselines/snapshots
    Solving Convertible or Lossy data in Data Dictionary objects reported by Csscan when changing the NLS_CHARACTERSET [ID 258904.1]

I would guess that this is not something I have to do as I'm not exporting these data?
    Regards
  • 2. Re: Data Dictionary Conversion Summary LOSSY data
    Zoltan Kecskemethy Expert
    Hi,

You are fine to go ahead. You should no issues in your migration.
    And yes you no need to handle "WRH$_SQLTEXT".

HTH, Zoltan
  • 3. Re: Data Dictionary Conversion Summary LOSSY data
    Sergiusz Wolicki (Oracle) Expert
    Confirming Zoltan's advice.

With schema-level migration with Data Pump you would need to worry about lossy characters in table, column or other object names (pretty unusual). Lossy data in SQL text in AWR tables should not be an issue.

-- Sergiusz

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points