Character Sets during upgrade from 9i to 11g

moslee Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Scenario
=====
Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition (9.2.0.8)
Windows Server 2003 (32 bit)
--- to ---
Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition (11.2.0.3)
Windows Server 2008 Standard R2 (64 bit)

Hi Experts

I am doing an upgrade from 9i (32bit) to 11g (64bit) and I was trying to understand the Character Sets section from the following Oracle doc. http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10897/install.htm#BABCABAC

I did a SELECT * FROM NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS; Below is the result... I hope to keep my current character sets in the new 11gR2, will this be possible? Am I risking applications error if I change my character sets, especially from 32bit to 64bit? Thanks for all your inputs.

PARAMETER VALUE
------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET AL16UTF16
NLS_CSMIG_SCHEMA_VERSION 2
NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN
NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA
NLS_CURRENCY $
NLS_ISO_CURRENCY AMERICA
NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS .,
NLS_CHARACTERSET US7ASCII
NLS_CALENDAR GREGORIAN
NLS_DATE_FORMAT DD-MON-RR
NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE AMERICAN

PARAMETER VALUE
------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
NLS_SORT BINARY
NLS_TIME_FORMAT HH.MI.SSXFF AM
NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM
NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR
NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR
NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY $
NLS_COMP BINARY
NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS BYTE
NLS_NCHAR_CONV_EXCP FALSE
NLS_RDBMS_VERSION 9.2.0.8.0

21 rows selected.

Edited by: 940854 on Oct 29, 2012 11:36 PM
  • 1. Re: Character Sets during upgrade from 9i to 11g
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl indicate how you are planning to upgrade. If you going to directly upgrade in-place using DBUA or migration scripts, then the characterset will not change as part of the upgrade. The characterset can be changed if you are creating a new empty 11.2.0.3 database and then performing an upgrade via export/import.

Oracle recommends using the AL32UTF8 characterset (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/create001.htm#ADMIN13343), but if your application does not expect to ever use any characters that are not included in US7ASCII, you can continue to use this characterset.

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Character Sets during upgrade from 9i to 11g
    moslee Newbie
    Hi Srini

Yes, I am creating a new empty 11.2.0.3 database and then performing an upgrade via export/import... Next as far as I know, my application team is supporting inhouse only and they are expecting low or zero impact to their inhouse apps when I do the upgrade/migration to new database... On top of that, they seems happy with what they are doing now and cannot be bother with CHARACTERSET or whatsoever. With this and your input, I will continue to use US7ASCII as my characterset.

A trival question, may I know what NLS_CHARACTERSET US7ASCII and NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET AL16UTF16 mean and in what way are they different?

Thanks for your answer.. It helps..
  • 3. Re: Character Sets during upgrade from 9i to 11g
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Is there a reason you are not using DBUA for the upgrade ?

Pl see these MOS Docs for an explanation of NLS_CHARACTERSET and NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET

Changing the Database Character Set ( NLS_CHARACTERSET ) [ID 225912.1]
    The National Character Set ( NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET ) in Oracle 9i, 10g and 11g [ID 276914.1]

HTH
    Srini
  • 4. Re: Character Sets during upgrade from 9i to 11g
    moslee Newbie
    Hi Srini

I'm not using DBUA because the new 11g will be on a separate new server.. Somewhere in Oracle doc, i saw:

Databases must be on the same system (in-place upgrade where the new version of Oracle Database is installed on the same server as the existing version).

Thanks for the MOS docs..

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points