This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2012 7:09 AM by kgronau RSS

dblink creation between sql and oracle server

Athish Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi dears,

I need to create dblink between the sql and oracle server.
(For me the requirement is sql datas need to import in oracle database).

My questions is,
Without installting gateway is't possibale to get the sql data in the oracle server.
my database version is 11.2.0.3 64bit

Kindly let me know, Waiting for your suggestsion.

Regards
Athish
  • 1. Re: dblink creation between sql and oracle server
    kgronau Guru
    Hi Athish,
    it first depends on the driving site. You can for example use the MS SQl Server Linked server technology which allows you to connect to an Oracle database using OLEDB drivers. In this scenario the SQL Server database is the driving site and pushes its data to the Oracle database.

When you want to have the Oracle database as driving site the easiest method to connect to the SQL Server is using the Database Gateway (Database Gateway for ODBC or Database Gateway for MS SQL Server). With some Java skills you could also load a MS JDBC driver into the JVM of the Oracle database and code your connection from the Oracle database to the SQL Server. The disadvantage of this second method is that you have to code everything on your own.
  • 2. Re: dblink creation between sql and oracle server
    Athish Newbie
    Hi,

Thanks for the update,

Can you please elobrate this,
    If you have any document regarding this please share it.

Regards
    Athish
  • 3. Re: dblink creation between sql and oracle server
    kgronau Guru
    About the Linked Server mechanism have a look at the MS Knowledge base article:
    Article ID: 280106 - HOW TO: Set Up and Troubleshoot a Linked Server to Oracle in SQL Server
    or
    How to run a SQL Server 2005 Integration Services package as a SQL Server Agent job step Article ID : 912911

Regarding DG4ODBC and DG4MSQL, please have a look at our Support portal and look for the gateway master note:
    Master Note for Oracle Gateway Products          [Document 1083703.1]     

It contains generic information how to connect to the foreign database
    Document 233876.1 Options for Connecting to Foreign Data Stores and Non-Oracle Databases - For example - DB2, SQL*Server, Sybase, Informix, Teradata, MySQL

as well as the functional differences between the Database Gateway for ODBC (Generic Connectivity) and MS SQL Server
    Document 252364.1 Functional Differences Between Generic Connectivity and Database Gateways
    Document 232482.1 Gateway and Generic Connectivity Licensing Considerations
    as well as where to find the latest release and how to install and configure them.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points