2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2012 5:19 PM by 971533 RSS

Installing ODP in web(ASP.NET) application

Do I need to do a full install of this on the application servers or can I just get the correct files to install using MSBUILD from Visual Studio? I current just have a reference to OracleDataaccess.dll in my VS project and when do a local build it works fine, when i do a build pushing out to dev servers I get these messages.

D:\Builds\9\TimeTrack\Timetrack Dev\Sources\WestonDevProjects\TimeTrack\Classes\clsTimeTrack.vb (503): Type 'Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleCommand' is not defined.
      D:\Builds\9\TimeTrack\Timetrack Dev\Sources\WestonDevProjects\TimeTrack\Classes\clsTimeTrack.vb (512): Reference required to assembly 'Oracle.DataAccess, Version=4.112.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342' containing the type 'Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleParameter'. Add one to your project.
      D:\Builds\9\TimeTrack\Timetrack Dev\Sources\WestonDevProjects\TimeTrack\Classes\clsTimeTrack.vb (512): 'Oracle' is not declared. It may be inaccessible due to its protection level.
      D:\Builds\9\TimeTrack\Timetrack Dev\Sources\WestonDevProjects\TimeTrack\Classes\clsTimeTrack.vb (520): Reference required to assembly 'Oracle.DataAccess, Version=4.112.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342' containing the type 'Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleCommand'. Add one to your project.

Id rather not install manually ODP on 6 servers (2 dev, 2 qa, 2 prod) I would rather be able to just push out build that has all necessary files.

Any Help would be appreciated

Thanks

Steve Z
        • 1. Re: Installing ODP in web(ASP.NET) application
          Mark Williams-Oracle
          Hi Steve,

You may be interested in checking out the XCopy deployment packages available from the .NET Developer center:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/downloads/index.html

The XCopy packages include the Instant Client files which you can bundle up with ODP.NET files and distribute as part of your application deployment.

This way you are not dependent on using the "full" Oracle Client and Universal Installer.

You might also be interested in reviewing the documentation on the DllPath configuration item if necessary to help control where the Oracle Client binaries are loaded from.

Also, though it sounds as if you are ready to go into production, there is a fully managed version of the provider which is currently in beta and that will alleviate the need for the traditional client completely.

Regards,

Mark
          • 2. Re: Installing ODP in web(ASP.NET) application
            Actually I'm just trying to get it to our Dev and Qa servers so it can be tested. I will read that link on xcopy.

Steve Z