This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 31, 2012 7:35 AM by Dan at Branchbird RSS

Endeca exploratory analysis

647202 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I evaluated Oracle Endeca Information Discovery Quick Start (2.3) for exploratory analysis and my observations are:
After uploading data from various sources it gives unified search. A search on shared attribute will result all related data irrespective of from which source they come.
But I am stuck when my search lands to some result sets from where we want to explorer further and expand result sets.
Endeca control gives us 2 choices : a)search with in , where it will further drill down results. b)not search with in to get fresh results from data source ,
but none of above option allowed me to expand my result set, which means already refined results are already there and we want to get fresh results based on some other criteria.

To solve this I decided to build application which uses Endeca presentation API to get data from MDEX
I downloaded Endeca RAD Toolkit for ASP.NET 2.1.3 and try to connect with existing Endeca Server on port 7770 but it gives us error
An unexpected error occurred: Error reading from the connection.The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.at Endeca.Navigation.OptiBackendRequest.GetContent() at Endeca.Navigation.OptiBackend.GetNavigation(OptiBackendRequest req) at Endeca.Navigation.HttpENEConnection.Query(ENEQuery neq) at Endeca.Data.Provider.PresentationApi.CommandExecutor.ExecuteCommand(EndecaCommand command)

Then setup another machine (believing that EID not supporting presentation API) :
1)Oracle Endeca Information Discovery Quick Start (2.2.2) (latitude_2.2.2.589866_x86_64pc-win32)
2)Oracle Endeca Platform Services 6.1.3
3)Used mkmdex to create index folder
4)run dgraph.exe <index directory>
Test this with latitude studio working fine but when I use RAD toolkit code of ASP.net 2.1.3 and connected to MDEX by specifying port 5555 , it gives us same error :"The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found......."
At console on dgraph.exe it prints error "Request for invalid path /graph?node=0&offset=0&nbins=10&irversion=620"

I wanted to build my custom aspx page which use ASP.net RAD toolkit to customize and expand result set and guided navigation.

Any help or light on this will be really helpful to me.
  • 1. Re: Endeca exploratory analysis
    Dan at Branchbird Journeyer
    Currently Being Moderated
    It sounds like you have two questions:

Q: Why isn't the RAD.NET 2.1.3 toolkit allowing me to query my OEID MDEX?

A: Oracle Endeca has two products; Oracle Endeca Information Discovery (OEID) and Oracle Endeca Commerce Server/Guided Search (OECS/OEGS). The two products both leverage the MDEX engine technology, but different versions of it. Thus, the two products have differences in their APIs for accessing data. The RAD Toolkit is specific only to the Oracle ECS product so I am not surprised you had this issue. The API for OEID is exposed through web services. You can find full documentation of these web services here. http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E29805_01/server.230/DevGuide.pdf. Additionally, the OEID Endeca Server (aka. MDEX with Endeca Server layer for operational control) ships with documentation and examples that you can find after installing (e.g. C:\Oracle\Endeca\Server\2.3.0\apis\*)

Q: How can I expand my result set once a search is applied?

A: Keep in mind that Endeca (either product) is about much more than just search. Search is just one of many ways to filter the data. Endeca allows the data to be filtered by facets in the data, ranges in the data, geospatial information, and of course, search. The behavior of the Endeca Server (or MDEX) is to apply the filter regardless of type (search, facet, range) and return the results to the end user with the next round of filters available based on the records that remain in context. Thus, from a search perspective, you can search within. From a facet filter perspective, you can choose to apply any of the facets that are still valid based on the records that remain in context. In either case, if you want to expand your results, you have to remove the previously applied filter. This is typically done via a breadcrumb component. The idea is you can apply filters in any order (facet, search, range, etc.), drill down, and use the breadcrumb to "step back" or "step sideways" as you slice and dice. This is how unfettered navigation is accomplished with the tool -- there are no predetermined drill downs.

Hope this helps,
    Dan
    Branchbird.com

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points