5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2012 8:36 AM by orafad RSS

barcode

user522961
      Hi,
      in Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2 on Win Server 2003
      we want to enter data from barcode.

Is it possible ?
      Which kind of data type should be defined for the table column ?
      How to make a relation between entering zone on web page and barcode reader connected to physical server ?
      Thanks.
        • 1. Re: barcode
          clcarter
          Reading a barcode is pretty much like OCR scanning.

Barcode is basically a font, sort of- the specification adds a couple things but printing an SKU '123-45678' or what ever the UPC format is its just another way of representing characters.

As far as "entering the data" a/an [n]char or [n]varchar datatype would be fine. Unless you're doing calculations on the data it doesn't need to be a number, although with numeric values there's slightly less work for the engine to compare numbers than there is for comparing long strings of character data.
          a relation between entering zone on web page and barcode reader
          I'm not quite sure what your meaning is there, or how it would be related to database management ...
          • 2. Re: barcode
            user522961
            Thank you.
            What I mean about data entering zone is :
            how when OCR scanning , with scan connected to PC , how can the value be seen in a text box on your application (WEB or not) page ? How to define a text box that takes its value from scan ?
            Is there any special text box ?
            Thanks and regards.
            • 3. Re: barcode
              orafad
              >
              how when OCR scanning , with scan connected to PC , how can the value be seen in a text box on your application (WEB or not) page ? How to define a text box that takes its value from scan ?
              These questions are related to client application and have nothing to do with the Database.
              Which means you have posted in the wrong forum.

The application stuff such input field/"text box" would depends on the language or environment of choice, e.g. Java, .Net, Apex, PHP, Forms, or some pre-packaged system. Each of which has its own forum(s).
              • 4. Re: barcode
                user522961
                Thanks Orafad.
                But as well as I know in DB Express you can create the applications with user interfaces (tabs).
                Regards.
                • 5. Re: barcode
                  orafad
                  I assume you are thinking of ApEx, which is a separate product from XE even if XE happens to have a certain version of it pre-loaded for your convenience.

As I wrote above ApEx has its own forum, and you can find it here: Oracle Application Express (APEX)