5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2012 1:20 PM by John A Booth RSS

Time taken to upgrade to 11.1.2.2.

essapp
      Can folks share their experience or estimate as to the time it would take to upgrade one server comprising EPM Planning 11.1.2.0 to 11.1.2.2 ? It's a really small install, client is requesting to do it in about one business day - I was just wondering if that is realistic, I'm inclined to believe it is, but wanted to get a second opinion since 11.1.2.0 is not stable and 11.1.2.2 is new and don't have any experience upgrading to it.

thanks.

Edited by: EssbaseApprentice on Oct 31, 2012 10:40 AM
        • 1. Re: Time taken to upgrade to 11.1.2.2.
          JohnGoodwin
          My opinion would be to give yourself a few days incase of any complications, you may achieve it in a day but it is always good to have extra time if problems occur.
          I wouldnt recommend carrying it out for a client if you have no experience, probably worth spending some time going through the process say on a vm so you are comfortable.

Cheers

John
          http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
          • 2. Re: Time taken to upgrade to 11.1.2.2.
            essapp
            My initial estimate was 3 days, 8 hours a day. Client wants downtime restricted to 8 hours only, as far as possible. I agree it is risky and probably not a good idea for me to agree to it.

If this was say 11.1.1.3 to 11.1.1.4, I wouldn't be asking this question, since they are very stable versions. My issue is with 11.1.2.0 being so unstable. So you think 3 days is good enough?
            • 3. Re: Time taken to upgrade to 11.1.2.2.
              essapp
              Also - I am actually going to do a test run before I do the client's server - but before I do that I need to figure out how long it's going to take. I've done upgrades before, just not specifically 11.1.2.0 to 11.1.2.2.
              • 4. Re: Time taken to upgrade to 11.1.2.2.
                JohnGoodwin
                It is difficult to say how long it will take, if there are no issues and you have experience then it can be done in a day, it should definitely take less than 3 days though.

Cheers

John
                http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
                • 5. Re: Time taken to upgrade to 11.1.2.2.
                  John A Booth
                  When doing major upgrades you should consider having a regression test done on the whole application and should never do "in-place" migrations.

Your comment about going 11.1.1.3 -> 11.1.1.4 -- we've done this several times and have seen defects in both HFM and Essbase of one sort or another.

The Essbase issue affected currency conversion. The prior app was doing some interesting things with currency rates across XRefs using dynamic calcs. This did not work properly on .4 however did on .3.

So go in with your eyes wide open and the more testing on a development instance the better.

Also do not forget about desktop clients e.g. Smart View, Financial Reports, ...

Your mileage will vary.

Regards,

John A. Booth
                  http://www.metavero.com