This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2012 8:23 PM by Roshni Shankar RSS

Regarding end to end application management in OEM

Roshni Shankar Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Is it possible to monitoring an application , which may use different products/technologies, end to end in OEM 12c Cloud Control?

Suppose we have Oracle Ebizz, SOA , and Siebel all integrated resulting some meaning application. Is it possible to monitor this whole application from one location only in OEM 12c Cloud Control.

If yes, then how can I achieve this?

Thanks in Advance!!
  • 1. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    GlenH Newbie
    Yes, you can monitor each of these middleware and application targets within EM 12c as I believe you know as well as the AIA framework that is routinely used to integrate our packaged applications. In addition, you can represent the application as a System or Composite Application target which would provide a consolidated customizable dashboard view of the applications. As EBS and Siebel are also routinely monitored with Oracle Real User Experience Insight (RUEI) in order to get visibility into the actual end user activity and experience, you can also drill from that console directly into Enterprise Manager Cloud Control in context of the application allowing you to drill from the user experience (think of this as capturing the requests and responses between the browser and the first system infrastructure that see the requests or generates the response) and the actual system/application infrastructure mentioned earlier.

Also, with EM 12c, we have the Business Application dashboard which will actually provide a single console which includes the user experience data from RUEI directly into EMCC and correlates that data with the system. Although this currently just provides partial visibility into all of the user experience data that RUEI provides, this single console does provide end to end visibility which goes beyond the system and application infrastructure and is routinely the primary dashboard for customers.

Cheers,
    Glen
  • 2. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    Roshni Shankar Newbie
    Hi Glen,

Can you elaborate this Business Application Dashboard. What is it?? What does it contain and how can I create this dashboard in my OEM 12c Cloud Control. Also for what purpose we need Business Transaction Management?? Is it a different product which we need to install and then add as a target to our OEM?

But, in the target type list I am not finding any target type as Business Transaction Mangement. Then how it can be added to OEM? Is it part of Oracle Fusion Middleware?

Please provide me these information. It is really urgent

Thanks in Advance!!
  • 3. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    Roshni Shankar Newbie
    Hi,

Any updates on my query...

Please help!!
  • 4. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    GlenH Newbie
    Hi Roshni,

The Business Application dashboard is a new feature in EM 12c R2 provides a single view around user experience data, business transaction management, and our system/application infrastructure management (SOA Infrastructure, OSB, WCP, WLS, App Deployments, Hosts, Databases, etc). Formerly, while we had contextual drill-downs from our Real User Experience Insight (RUEI) and Business Transaction Management (BTM) consoles to Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, we didn't have a singular view in EM Cloud Control where that data was correlated to provide a dashboard that could be used to truely define the health of a business application.

I think that the best place to actually get an understanding of the Business Application dashboard is to take a look at our self-running demo which is up on OTN and YouTube. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n0qguVNxFjw

It might also be worth pointing you to the new free self-paced OU course on Oracle Real User Experience Insight. This is actually the first of three courses that we are putting together.

http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=44785:24:0::NO:24:P24_CONTENT_ID,P24_PREV_PAGE:6612,1

Cheers,
    Glen
  • 5. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    Roshni Shankar Newbie
    Thanks Glen,

I watched that video but there they have created one business appliaction but in my OEM 12c cloud control I am not able to find a way to create a business application rather I have a way to create a composite application . Can this composite application splve my purpose of end to end trasaction management?

What should I do?
  • 6. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    sxkumar Explorer
    If you do not see business application under the Target menu, most likely you are not running EM 12c Release 2. As Glen pointed out, Business Application is a new feature introduce in R2.
  • 7. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    GlenH Newbie
    As Sushil indicated, the option to create a Business Application dashboard is only available in EM 12c Release 2. Also, I would highly recommend deploying the latest releases of Real User Experience Insight (RUEI) and possibly Business Transaction Management beforehand as you will want to register those engines/managers ahead of time in order to take full advantage of the capabilities that I previous referred to.
  • 8. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    Roshni Shankar Newbie
    Hi Glen,

I am using OEM 12.1.0.1.0 and I understand your point. But is end to end transaction monitoring is not possible at all in this release? Is it only possible with OEM 12.1.0.2??
  • 9. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    Roshni Shankar Newbie
    Hi Glen,

Any updates to my query??
  • 10. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    GlenH Newbie
    Yes, but without the Business Application dashboard, you will instead utilize the contextual drill-down between the products (RUEI, BTM, and EMCC or a mixture of those). Once again though, I think you want to get started with RUEI first if you are looking for end-to-end application management as that is the front-end to the entire monitoring solution. Here is a video on how that works as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObHAU3BOdvw

Cheers,
    Glen
  • 11. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    Roshni Shankar Newbie
    Thanks Glen,

I will go through the link. But what steps should I have to take for this Business transaction management. Do I need to install BTM and then add BTM in OEM as a target?

Do you have a good document explaining everything. like RUEI, BTM and end to end transaction management?
  • 12. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    GlenH Newbie
    BTM would be useful to monitor the SOA Suite, OSB, and AIA infrastructure. It wouldn't apply to Siebel and EBS. For those, you would simply deploy EMCC and RUEI. My recommendation would be to discover EBS and Siebel first in EMCC and get RUEI up and running as that will provide you with a vast amount of visibility. Afterwards, you can configure BTM for the SOA Suite and AIA infrastructure to track transaction between those environments. JVM diagnostics can be deployed from EMCC as well as a recommended but optional step to the various OAS/WLS containers as applicable.

Cheers,
    Glen
  • 13. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    GlenH Newbie
    In regards to docs for configuring this, it is included in the RUEI and BTM documentation as that is where the configuration between the components occurs (essentially registering the EMCC and BTM locations with RUEI for the contextual drill-down).
  • 14. Re: Regarding end to end application management in OEM
    Roshni Shankar Newbie
    Thanks Glen,

But I want to know how will I configure BTM with my OEM 12.1.0.1.0 to monitor SOA suite . Do I need to install BTM or what.. I want to understand this process of configuring OEM with BTM.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points