This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 1:11 PM by clcarter RSS

Problem executing "Get Started with Oracle Database 11g Express Edition"

971942 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, first of all excuse me my english, if you don't understand me, please, let me know :).

I'm new on the world of the DDBB and I've just install Oracle Database 11g Express Edition. When the installation was working a window appeared and it was about the available ports. At that moment, I didn't care about them and I clicked "next". But now, when the program is installled I can't access to the database... In the page which appears when I click in it, says this:

Estado HTTP 404 - /htmldb

type Informe de estado

mensaje /htmldb

descripción El recurso requerido no está disponible.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.30

Anyone can help me, please?

I didn't say but I have a Windows 7

Thank you very much!!!!!

:))))))
  • 1. Re: Problem executing "Get Started with Oracle Database 11g Express Edition"
    clcarter Expert
    The "getting started" web page depends on the database, the listener, and correct info on the client networking setup.

First, for Windows, check and make sure the services got created and they show Running in the services applet (Start/Run/services.msc) there should be maybe five Oracle* services, check the two critical ones for the instance ...ServiceXE and listener ...TNSListener

Secondly, make sure the database is up, in a command box (Start/Run/cmd.exe)

sqlplus /nolog
    connect /as sysdba;
    ... Connected ...
    select status from v$instance.
    ... OPEN ...

Thirdly ensure the instance has registered with the listener and also shows the two endpoints, one is for http (on the default) port 8080, back to the command box, exit from sqlplus:

lsnrctl status
    ... Endpoints:
    ... host=<hostname>...port=1521...
    ... presentation=http...port=8080 ...
    lsnrctl services
    ... service XE ...
    ... service XEXDB ...

Or something like that, can't recall the exact bits. There are several posts here with the specifics.
  • 2. Re: Problem executing "Get Started with Oracle Database 11g Express Edition"
    Udo Guru
    Hi,
    Estado HTTP 404 - /htmldb
    Apache Tomcat/7.0.30
    I think that's not the usual "Getting Started" issue here. You have a Tomcat running on your server. The HTTP Server integrated in XE uses the same TCP port 8080 your Tomcat uses, so you have a port conflict here. Since your Tomcat is already running, he sticks to that port and answers requests...
    You have three options to get around that issue:
    1. Change your Tomcat's port. To do so, modify the port for the HTTP Connector in the server.xml located in your Tomcats conf directory.
    2. Change the TCP port for the HTTP Server of your database. To do so, follow the steps descirbed [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/install.42/e35123/otn_install.htm#CHDDGBCA]here using a different port than 8080. Change the properties of your "Get Started" link accoringly.
    3. Deploy [url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex-listener/overview/index.html]APEX Listener on your Tomcat (I know, it's not officialy supported, but it works!) and use Tomcat+APEX Listener to access your APEX installation. You can disable the database internal web server in that case to avoid further issues. To disable the internal web server, set its HTTP port to 0 (using the steps referenced in 2) ).

Implementing either of these option will help you use your Oracle XE web interface.

-Udo
  • 3. Re: Problem executing "Get Started with Oracle Database 11g Express Edition"
    971942 Newbie
    Thank you so much!! I'm going to try that right now!!

I hope it works :)

thank you again!! :) :)
  • 4. Re: Problem executing "Get Started with Oracle Database 11g Express Edition"
    971942 Newbie
    Now it works!! I've tried to change the HTTP port of the app and I can execute the program :)

Thakyouuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! :D
  • 5. Re: Problem executing "Get Started with Oracle Database 11g Express Edition"
    clcarter Expert
    Good to hear you've fixed the problem.

Please mark the thread Answered, I believe Udo gets the points for recognizing that Tomcat had the network port in use.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points