This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2012 10:50 AM by Celer RSS

Windows packaging icon files for application.exe blank

Celer Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
On windows when running the packaging the installer is created, once installed the application.exec file has not Icon. It is just the windows default? What should the image be called in in the resources folder.
  • 1. Re: Windows packaging icon files for application.exe blank
    817264 Journeyer
    Could you please provide more details?
    Do you mean that when application itself is launched it has blank icon?
    If so then this is current limitation, icon needs to be explicitly set in the javafx code. See
    http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/2/deployment/self-contained-packaging.htm#BCGGBDBB
  • 2. Re: Windows packaging icon files for application.exe blank
    Celer Newbie
    Hi Igor

Yes so when the installer has completed you have a <ApplicationName>.exe file located in HOME/<ApplicationName> with app and runtime etc.
    That file has no icon.
  • 3. Re: Windows packaging icon files for application.exe blank
    817264 Journeyer
    How do you validate it has no icon? File explorer shows blank icon? Have you checked .exe file resources?

Typically this would mean we "added" an icon but it is malformed or listed under wrong resource id. So windows ignores it.

Have you ever had success adding icons to .exe bundles? Or this is first time you pay attention to it?

Does it work if you do not try to customize icon?

What version of Windows you are on?

Vesbose log from the ant task may help to confirm whether custom icon was used.
  • 4. Re: Windows packaging icon files for application.exe blank
    Celer Newbie
    So the first time I had no icons. So not sure if. Just the exe has the blank default white icon that windows gives. This is running on windows XP home edition.

As the verbose log is a bit long. Here is a snapshot where I think it does the customisation.

This has always been like this for us.

Seems I can't post the debug log forums does not allow it :)
  • 5. Re: Windows packaging icon files for application.exe blank
    817264 Journeyer
    Just post 10 lines or so where it reports on where it gets resources to use.

What version of packager are you using? There were improvements made to icon processing and they supposed to make things more robust (but could of course introduce new bugs too).
    Try packager from latest jdk8 beta build. Is it any better?
  • 6. Re: Windows packaging icon files for application.exe blank
    Celer Newbie
    let me download that and extract it as I don't want to run JDK 8
  • 7. Re: Windows packaging icon files for application.exe blank
    Celer Newbie
    well for one on MAC i don't see my errors from JIRA "RT-25765", but it does still fail to create the dmg file. Error below
    16:56:07.592 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.api.internal.project.ant.AntLoggingAdapter] Class java.io.BufferedReader loaded from parent loader (parentFirst)
    16:56:15.620 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.api.internal.project.ant.AntLoggingAdapter] Running [/usr/bin/hdiutil, attach, /var/folders/4x/zjcgnrwd08j5pd073sdc0k5c0000gp/T/build2296329090418481702.fxbundler/images/CelerTrader-tmp.dmg, -quiet, -mountroot, /var/folders/4x/zjcgnrwd08j5pd073sdc0k5c0000gp/T/build2296329090418481702.fxbundler/images]
    16:56:16.869 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.api.internal.project.ant.AntLoggingAdapter] Running [osascript, /var/folders/4x/zjcgnrwd08j5pd073sdc0k5c0000gp/T/build2296329090418481702.fxbundler/macosx/CelerTrader-dmg-setup.scpt]
    16:58:17.916 [INFO] [org.gradle.api.internal.project.ant.AntLoggingAdapter] /var/folders/4x/zjcgnrwd08j5pd073sdc0k5c0000gp/T/build2296329090418481702.fxbundler/macosx/CelerTrader-dmg-setup.scpt:1425:1464: execution error: Finder got an error: AppleEvent timed out. (-1712)
    16:58:17.926 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.api.internal.project.ant.AntLoggingAdapter] Exec failed with code 1 command [[osascript, /var/folders/4x/zjcgnrwd08j5pd073sdc0k5c0000gp/T/build2296329090418481702.fxbundler/macosx/CelerTrader-dmg-setup.scpt] in unspecified directory
    java.io.IOException: Exec failed with code 1 command [[osascript, /var/folders/4x/zjcgnrwd08j5pd073sdc0k5c0000gp/T/build2296329090418481702.fxbundler/macosx/CelerTrader-dmg-setup.scpt] in unspecified directory
         at com.sun.javafx.tools.packager.bundlers.IOUtils.exec(IOUtils.java:131)
         at com.sun.javafx.tools.packager.bundlers.IOUtils.exec(IOUtils.java:107)
         at com.sun.javafx.tools.packager.bundlers.IOUtils.exec(IOUtils.java:101)
         at com.sun.javafx.tools.packager.bundlers.MacDMGBundler.buildDMG(MacDMGBundler.java:357)
         at com.sun.javafx.tools.packager.bundlers.MacDMGBundler.bundle(MacDMGBundler.java:80)
         at com.sun.javafx.tools.packager.PackagerLib.generateNativeBundles(PackagerLib.java:526)
         at com.sun.javafx.tools.packager.PackagerLib.generateDeploymentPackages(PackagerLib.java:505)
         at com.sun.javafx.tools.ant.DeployFXTask.execute(DeployFXTask.java:231)
    On windows still same issue the Main application icon has the default box blue header white content not my application logo. I know you might be busy but I would be happy to setup a remote desktop for you to run this yourself if you like?
  • 8. Re: Windows packaging icon files for application.exe blank
    Celer Newbie
    So MAC issue is sorted with another post I found about files. Windows still seems to be an issue with the icon file not setting.
  • 9. Re: Windows packaging icon files for application.exe blank
    817264 Journeyer
    Lets file this (Windows icon) issue to JIRA to proceed. It seem to be beyond the scope of forum discussion. (Link to JIRA issue here for those who are interested to follow).
    Please attach result launcher exe file, verbose ant log, your custom icon (if you use icon) and all details you think can be relevant (e.g. screenshot where you see "wrong" icon, OS version, etc).

One other idea - extract .exe files from ant-javafx.jar and validate you can execute them from command line (as long as they do not fail due to "missing .dll" it is ok).
    It is possible that icon swap tool might be malfunctioning on your system due to some dependency.
  • 10. Re: Windows packaging icon files for application.exe blank
    Celer Newbie
    Raised: RT-26003

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points