This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 1:39 AM by S M RSS

Queries regarding JAVA certification

S M Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Experts,

I am new to JAVA. I have programming experience in C and PL/SQL.
I have finished headfirst java (initially 7-8 chapter in very detail and others a go through).
Now to make sure I am learning JAVA I am trying to attach my learning with certification.
Hence I have started searching for SCJP but got confused with OCJP. Through some googling I am sure now that SCJP and OCJP are same.

My queries:-
1. What is the latest version of the book SCJP Sun Certified Katherine Sierra( through reviews seems great book to learn and crack the certification)?
2. I see many JAVA certifications on the website of Oracle. Which one to go? Or which one I will be able crack through the book I mentioned above?

Thanks,
MS
  • 1. Re: Queries regarding JAVA certification
    gimbal2 Guru
    M S wrote:
    Experts,

I am new to JAVA. I have programming experience in C and PL/SQL.
    I have finished headfirst java (initially 7-8 chapter in very detail and others a go through).
    Now to make sure I am learning JAVA I am trying to attach my learning with certification.
    Hence I have started searching for SCJP but got confused with OCJP. Through some googling I am sure now that SCJP and OCJP are same.
    Yep. The difference is S = Sun and O = Oracle.
    My queries:-
    1. What is the latest version of the book SCJP Sun Certified Katherine Sierra( through reviews seems great book to learn and crack the certification)?
    I would recommend that one, yes. The certification website should list resources you can use to prepare.
    2. I see many JAVA certifications on the website of Oracle. Which one to go? Or which one I will be able crack through the book I mentioned above?
    As you already figured out, you should start with OCJP. The last time I looked that was also a prerequisite to be able to do any of the other certifications.

I warn you: certification proves only one thing and that is that you're good at cramming theory into your head for a short amount of time. If you want to prove to yourself that you actually know something, try building an actual application. I challenge you to create a simple IRC chat program (you decide if you go for text only or you want to support formatting) for 2 people that actually works when run on two different computers. There is a catch: the chat server is actually a separate second program that the clients will connect with. If you can do that without a chain of "how I do this" questions in this forum, you're on your way to the top :)
  • 2. Re: Queries regarding JAVA certification
    S M Newbie
    Thanks gimbal2 for quick help. You have explained well.
    I understand your concern and surely i will try to put my learning in actual java codes.
    I just wanted to couple my learning with a target so thought of certification.
    Actually you answered my queries very well but need more help on last query.
    When I go to oracle's website (http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=632), I see following similar certifications. Which one is OCJP and which one to take? I can see some are not relevant but I am confused in others.
         Java SE (It cannot be)
         Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 5/SE 6 ( I guess it is very introductive and not required)
         Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer
         Oracle Certified Master, Java SE 6 Developer (I guess this is not what we are looking)
         Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer
         Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 5 Programmer
         Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer
    Thanks,
    MS
  • 3. Re: Queries regarding JAVA certification
    gimbal2 Guru
    OCJP = Oracle Certified Java Professional. I think Sun used to call it 'Sun Certified Java Programmer' though, that's closer to the truth if you ask me. I think the associate one is more for consultants, analysts and IT managers; people related to development projects but who won't do much actual programming themselves. And master... well I guess that's for people who are member of Mensa ;) I wouldn't want to be labelled a master, too much responsibility.

I would go for Java 7 version of course, Java 6 is already so old. Any study guide for Java 6 will also work for Java 7 if you take 30 minutes to read through articles that describe what changed in the language syntax.
  • 4. Re: Queries regarding JAVA certification
    JDScoot Explorer
    One thing to note with the Java SE 5 and 6 exams, there are no prerequisites to take the Oracle Certified Professional exam. But with Java SE 7, you must take the Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer exam before you can take the Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer.

If you click on the Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer exam link it will show the prerequisite. Note sure if you can have it waved or not though.
  • 5. Re: Queries regarding JAVA certification
    S M Newbie
    Thanks gimbal2 !
  • 6. Re: Queries regarding JAVA certification
    S M Newbie
    Thanks JDScoot!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points