This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 5:37 AM by SPA2 RSS

Accessing Virtual Box from HOST

872516 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I need to access Virtual Box from my HOST machine. I need to create a ODBC connection on HOST using the ipaddress of the Virtual Box on which Oracle Virtual Appliance is imported. When i go to the gnome terminal on the Virtual Box I dont get any ip address when i type ifconfig.

Is there a way i can find the ipaddress of the virtual machine/database so that I can access it from my HOST?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Accessing Virtual Box from HOST
    971118 Newbie
    Not sure it will work for you in your current state, but this usually works for me. Enter on a terminal screen:

arp -a

Under normal circumstances, you will get a list that looks something like this:

[root@ovs1 xen]# arp -a
    stora-1.***.com (192.168.0.251) at 00:26:f2:db:94:4b [ether] on c0a80000
    ovm.***.com (192.168.0.65) at 00:0c:29:5b:05:4b [ether] on c0a80000
    filesrv.***.com (192.168.0.61) at 00:0c:29:5e:8d:bd [ether] on c0a80000

Since you don't see an IP address in ifconfig, I'm not certain if anything useful will return.

I hope it helps.
  • 2. Re: Accessing Virtual Box from HOST
    872516 Newbie
    Yes that doesnt work as well.. I just saw the settings of the Virtual Box and see that the network settings are grayed out and i cant change them. Thanks for your time on this.
  • 3. Re: Accessing Virtual Box from HOST
    SPA2 Newbie
    Hi,
    If your virtual box configuration uses DHCP the IP address comes from your network may be a DSL / MODEM / ROUTER.

So it depends how do you setup the network interfaces in the virtual box.

All the other information would be visible when the virtual box is started and you use the operating system command like on unix
    ifconfig -a or Windows ipconfig

regards
    SPA2

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points