2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2012 11:25 AM by Matt Sevin-Oracle RSS

OPA vs Business Rules - Input / Output formats

User12626385-Oracle
      We're thinking about using OPA to write rules, however our input is xml and output is the same xml currently (which is used to create a large number of reports). Does OPA support that? I only see CSV and Databases as the valid inputs? We would like this to run "offline" in an application using a large xml worth of various data so CSV and database connections would not be approapriate. I know Business Rules is an alternative (can run offline outside of SOA i believe using the java api?) but Im trying to determine if OPA is an option available to us in this case.

large XML(s) ---> Rules (via Java command line) ---> Results XML (built from the various xmls and results) --> various reports created

Edited by: user12626385 on 02-Nov-2012 07:36

Edited by: user12626385 on 02-Nov-2012 07:58
        • 1. Re: OPA vs Business Rules - Input / Output formats
          Matt Sevin-Oracle
          Yes. OPA supports standard Web service integrations including submission of inbound data as XML and returning determinations (decisions) and decision reports (logical justifications or proofs substantiating the decisions) as XML. See more information on OTN regarding OPA at: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/apps-tech/policy-automation/overview/index.html and additional information in the OPA developers guide on the Oracle Determinations Server component of OPA at: http://download.oracle.com/docs/html/E36316_01/toc.htm
          • 2. Re: OPA vs Business Rules - Input / Output formats
            Matt Sevin-Oracle
            By the way, Java command line launching web service client to read and transmit XML to local or remote multiithreaded webservice to consume and return XML with decisions returned to client to aggregate, write, etc. the results is certainly achievable. However, you may want to consider the possible advantages of staging the data in a database and leveraging the OPA Batch Processor for high-performance (both on the data read/write and processing levels). This alternative may prove higher performance overall and utilize more off-the-shelf components than direct reading/writing of XML as files from web service client software.