This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2012 2:20 AM by Udo RSS

connect OHS (outside firewall) to APEX Listener (inside firewall)

sky123 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

May I know how I can configure something like this? We have APEX applications residing in different databases inside the firewall - different APEX versions. We want to replace our extranet's front-end, currently Oracle iAS 9i, with Oracle WebTier (Oracle HTTP Server) 11.1.1.6. However, with the new RESTful Service features, we would also like to add the APEX Listener for publishing webservices. Could you teach me the detail steps to implement this structure in our environment?

Thanks.

<pre>
user's browser HTTP> Oracle WebTier Utilities (OHS) 11.1.1.6 -- AJP or HTTP--> firewall -->APEX Listener on Glassfish Oracle Net> Oracle database
</pre>
  • 1. Re: connect OHS (outside firewall) to APEX Listener (inside firewall)
    Prabodh Guru
    Hi,
    May I know how I can configure something like this? We have APEX applications residing in different databases inside the firewall - different APEX versions. We want to replace our extranet's front-end, currently Oracle iAS 9i, with Oracle WebTier (Oracle HTTP Server) 11.1.1.6. However, with the new RESTful Service features, we would also like to add the APEX Listener for publishing webservices. Could you teach me the detail steps to implement this structure in our environment?
    You can use OHS as well as ApexListener to access the different Apex instances. However note that OHS and ApexListener will form completely independent paths to access the Apex instances. That is, when OHS URL is used ApexListener URL is not it use, and the other way round.
    You need to evaluate if you really need the two access paths. Do you use a feature of OHS that is not available in ApexListener? May we you need only Apexlistener for accessing Apex and OHS (which is a licensed product) can be replaced by Apache web server for URL rewriting, security and / or creating a reverse proxy. That way you will have only one component to configure and maintain.
    If you use HTTPS when where do you plan to install the server DCs? OHS or GF?
    >
    user's browser HTTP> Oracle WebTier Utilities (OHS) 11.1.1.6 -- AJP or HTTP--> firewall -->APEX Listener on Glassfish Oracle Net> Oracle database
    >
    Not sure if the above is very accurate. ApexListenser uses JDBC to connect to database. I guess the 2 routes for Apex would be
    user's browser --HTTP--> Oracle WebTier Utilities (OHS) 11.1.1.6 -- AJP or HTTP--> firewall  -->APEX--> Oracle database
    and
    user's browser --HTTP--> Oracle WebTier Utilities (OHS) 11.1.1.6 -- AJP or HTTP--> firewall  -->GF-->ApexListener-->APEX --> Oracle database
    If you replace OHS with Apache then it would be
    user's browser -->HTTP--> Apache(reverse proxy) -->  HTTP--> firewall  -->GF-->ApexListener-->JDBC--> Oracle database
    Cheers,
  • 2. Re: connect OHS (outside firewall) to APEX Listener (inside firewall)
    Udo Guru
    Hi,

in addition to host your APEX through mod_plsql on your OHS, you can also use OHS to act as a (reverse) (AJP) proxy in front of APEX Listener.
    We had a few discussions on such scenarios concerning the curernt production release of APEX Listener (1.1), but from the proxy perspective, there shouldn't be a big difference between APEX 1.1 and 2. But because handling of the RESTful services changes a lot, I'd recommend to wait for APEX Listener 2 to become production before integrating it in your environment. If you have a testing environment, you could start integrating using the EA release, but it's not recommended to use it for your productive systems.

-Udo

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points