This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2012 4:18 AM by Igoroshka RSS

Server Monitoring

Linux-RAC-Admin Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I am currently monitoring several Linux servers (both physical and virtual) with Quest 'Spotlight on Unix'. It gives a nice agentless look at the operating system performance (cpu, memory, disk, process, etc). I provides some history. But it is an expensive tool which we purchased as part of the Oracle Database Spotlight package.

Since my DBA Team is not really using the Oracle database features of the product, I am curious what other System Admins are using for this. We have a larger enterprise monitor for the datacenter (Netiq) but I am looking for an interface I can run on a desktop (client or web) that will give a graphical monitor of each of my Linux servers on a summary page with drill down and some alerting capabilities.

And most of all...Free :)

I am seeing Zenoss, Nagios, and some others when I research. Any opinions?

Thanks!
  • 1. Re: Server Monitoring
    Johan Louwers Explorer
    Putting in the free part is making this question a bit more dificult. You can have a look at Cacti and Nagios which are quite ok. However, depending on your OS and/or hardware you might find that you already have paid the license fee to be able to use sone of the Oracle Enterprise Manager hardware and OS plugins.

If yoy are, for example getting paid support for Oracle Linux you already have paid for the option to use the OS monitoring plugin from OEM.

Regards,
    Johan Louwers.
  • 2. Re: Server Monitoring
    Avi Miller Guru
    Johan Louwers wrote:
    Putting in the free part is making this question a bit more dificult. You can have a look at Cacti and Nagios which are quite ok. However, depending on your OS and/or hardware you might find that you already have paid the license fee to be able to use sone of the Oracle Enterprise Manager hardware and OS plugins.
    Actually, you can now use the base monitoring capabilities of Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control to monitor your Linux boxes for free. You don't need to pay for support or option packs or anything.
  • 3. Re: Server Monitoring
    Igoroshka Newbie
    As for free monitoring and alerting tools.
    Cacti and Nagius are already mentioned.
    Please look allso at zabbix. There are even a ready vm to play.

Edited by: Igoroshka on Nov 17, 2012 4:18 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points