2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 12:55 PM by biochemistry43 RSS

Handling Events in FXML-includes

J. Ishikawa
      Hi!

I am using FXML to define the GUI of my application. As the GUI is pretty complex with many regions and items in it, I have created a separate FXML file for each main region to reduce the overall complexity of maintaining the design.

My parent FXML file, called "Frame.xml", includes those "sub-regional" FXML-definitions using "<fx:include source="RegionXYZ.fxml" />".

What I am now stucked with is, how to handle events in this approach...

Questions:
      a) Can I add a separate controller in each of the "sub-regional" FXML-files, like "fx:controller="FXMLRegionXYZController"?
      b) Or must I, or even should I, use only a single controller inside the main FXML? Will this single controller be able to recognize and handle actions/events in the included FXML-definitions as well?
      c) What is the best approach in general for this?

Thanks,
      Jörn
        • 1. Re: Handling Events in FXML-includes
          Hi,

Since javafx 2.2 their is an improvement for sub-controllers:
          check: http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/2/fxml_get_started/whats_new2.htm

an example:
          <VBox fx:controller="com.foo.MainController"> 
              <fx:include fx:id="dialog" source="dialog.fxml"/>
          </VBox>

public class MainController extends Controller { 
              @FXML private Window dialog;
              @FXML private DialogController dialogController;

}
          A second aproach is to not use the include, but rather use the FXMLloader, to load to UI child object + controller and attach it to the desired parent object.
          • 2. Re: Handling Events in FXML-includes
            biochemistry43
            Hi!

I am using FXML to define the GUI of my application. As the GUI is pretty complex with many regions and items in it, I have created a separate FXML file for each main region to reduce the overall complexity of maintaining the design.

My parent FXML file, called "Frame.xml", includes those "sub-regional" FXML-definitions using "<fx:include source="RegionXYZ.fxml" />".

What I am now stucked with is, how to handle events in this approach...

Questions:
            a) Can I add a separate controller in each of the "sub-regional" FXML-files, like "fx:controller="FXMLRegionXYZController"?
            - Yes, you can

b) Or must I, or even should I, use only a single controller inside the main FXML? Will this single controller be able to recognize and handle actions/events in the included FXML-definitions as well?
            - if you could control everything from a single controller but you option (A) is much better

c) What is the best approach in general for this?
            - Option (a)

Thanks,
            Jörn