1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 9:34 AM by Levi Pereira RSS

RMAN vs BCV - Performance and Cost

We are currently having Symmetric Array for storage and use BCV for restoring data loaded in Primary DB into different environments (Dev/Perf/Prod) as required. BCV provides great performance in restoring/moving data(>5TBs) between different DBs but it comes with the huge cost for Tier 1 storage array.

* How is RMAN option compared to BCV in performance. Some comparison numbers(duration for xTB on this vs that) will be really helpful
      * Is it possible to restore from the current DB with Tier 1 storage(High Cost) to DBs with Tier 2 storage(Low Cost). Possibility of this will help to retain some environments with Symmetric and non-critical with other options. What options do I have for that? RMAN? What will be the performance like?
      * Last question I have is totally different to the above. Will RAC work with Symmetric without impacting usage of BCVs for DB restore/datamoves.

• 1. Re: RMAN vs BCV - Performance and Cost
          Levi Pereira

There is no RMAN vs BCV because they are different products, despite the name "backup" they do different thing.

RMAN feature:
          * Backup Incremental
          * Backup to TAPE/Disk
          * Duplicate/Restore Database excluding Tablespaces
          * Recovery at Block Level
          * Restore at Tablespace/Datafile Level
          * Recovery Point in time
          * and so on

I have no knowledge on BCV, but I know FlashCopy (IBM) that are similar tools.

As far as I understood BCV do mirror images of active volumes. So, If you corrupt block on Production volumes that can be replicated to Backup Site. There is a big difference between BACKUP DATABASE and BACKUP VOLUMES/LUNS. You must be aware of that.

You can combine both technologies do not exclude or put one against the other.

See how these technologies are used.

Invite a seller's EMC so you can better understand the technologies and their implementation.