This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2012 8:40 AM by Dude! Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: IPC
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    Interesting.. as we too replaced some older AMD-based Sun servers with newer Intel-based HP servers.
  • 16. Re: IPC
    800381 Explorer
    Yeah, there can be a lot more to selling servers than just slapping parts from China together. Sun was really good about engineering the systems they sold. I don't know if Oracle has maintained that as a differentiation or not, although from working on some newer Exadata systems I suspect they have, at least to some degree. IBM used to be the same way, but they have slipped a bit. Used to be you could open up an IBM or Sun server and not be able to find a sharp edge to slice your hand open on, no matter how hard you looked. IBMs are no longer that way, but I haven't had the chance to crack open an Oracle-branded server and see what's inside yet. Heck, IBM and Sun's older servers, you could put 'em on a table, lift one corner up and prop it on a BIG screwdriver handle, and the server chassis would remain totally rigid. Take a Supermicro server, lay it on a table, and you can probably lift one corner almost 2 inches before any other corner lifts up, the chassis/case is so flexy and weak. New HP servers are better than Supermicros in that regard, but not by much.

I find it hard to believe that current HP Intel-based servers would fail to beat even the last and fastest Sun AMD servers on a CPU benchmark. IO benchmarks, though? Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Sun servers are still faster.

FWIW, the customer I mentioned was replacing not-quite-so-old Sun servers - the older servers were Intel-based. They bought the HP servers because they were less expensive than new Oracle (Sun) servers. Of course, after the servers were delivered we couldn't maintain them - the standard HP server doesn't have full iLO software licensed. Customer then had to pony up more money for that. That extra bit of cost might have wound up making the Oracle servers just a bit cheaper per server. Ooops.
  • 17. Re: IPC
    Dude! Guru
    The messages are fairly fixed sizes. Most are 1427 bytes. Some are less (depending on the network device sending data). So I/O size to file is mostly 1427 byte (binary) writes.
    Perhaps a good idea to also verify your network settings match your switch port, e.g. fixed full duplex (Sun) vs. auto-neg (HP) and mtu size (jumbo vs. default).
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points