We're using 184.108.40.206
We're getting issues where the PSI screen is reflecting incorrect values.
We found that running the following fixed the issue, each time entering the specific Project Number in question:
PRC: Refresh Project Summary Amounts @ 12:04
PRC: Refresh Transaction Summary Amounts @ 12:16
PRC: Update Project Summary Amounts for a Single Project @ 12:17
PRC: Refresh Project Summary Amounts @ 12:18
Eventually the PSI screen updated.
I just tried it again on another test instance, but this time only ran:
PRC: Update Project Summary Amounts - no output, PSI not updated
PRC: Refresh Project Summary Amounts - output confirmed updates had occurred, and PSI screen updated.
Therefore, I wondered if we should routinely schedule the "PRC: Refresh Project Summary Amounts" job to run each night, for all projects, to ensure the PSI screen is up to date?
Any advice much appreciated
We only run every night the process PRC: Update Project Summary Amounts, for all projects. That process know to add only the incremental transactions added since last run and only process new or updated commitments.
This process is scheduled to run after all Costing processes are completed.
The process - PRC: Refresh Project Summary Amounts - actually built from scratch the summarization of all transactions and commitments. Therefore this process may take more and more time to complete as your project data is increasing. You should be running this process once after migrating data from legacy system, or if you found an issue with current summarization. Note that could be due to changes you may be doing with Reporting Periods set up not in the right order (period after period, never go back).