6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 4:23 PM by user10757003 RSS

FDM usage

Our client bought FDM and is using it to drill back from a Planning app.

The want to get the most for their money so they want to use FDM to load to an Essbase reporting cube that will not require any mapping.

I know it will be slower(vs. TXT files), are there any other reasons why they should not do this?

Thanks,
      Z
        • 1. Re: FDM usage
          JeffJon
          I'm not following "Will Not Require any Mapping", do you mean they will just use * to * Maps in FDM for the source data?
          • 2. Re: FDM usage
            yes...sorry, there will be no need to drill back..source and target mapping/names will be the same..
            • 3. Re: FDM usage
              JeffJon
              There are not any reasons they can't do this.

Even if they do * to * mappings and load from a source file they can still do drill through to FDM back to the original source file.
              • 4. Re: FDM usage
                user10757003
                the only problem you might have is if your Essbase reporting cube is an ASO cube. (Although i seem to remember reading somewhere that it was planned to provide this faciity i don't think it is available yet).

Edited by: user10757003 on 05-Nov-2012 13:45
                • 5. Re: FDM usage
                  good point on drill to original source...

It's the level of effort I am concerned with really, a txt file with a load rule is quick and easy. Creating an FDM app in this cased just seems like a bigger effort that what they will get in return...

Thanks,
                  Z
                  • 6. Re: FDM usage
                    user10757003
                    It might not just be the setting up that is the issue. If using the standard Essbase adaptor, if a metadata member is invalid on load, the whole file stops. this means that if there is the possibility of multiple errors in a file, it could take a while to identify all the errors and correct them. this can be by-passed (from memory) by defining a load rule in the essbase adaptor settings, which then allow the whole file to process to identify all errors, but again i am not sure if they would lose the drill-thorugh facility if this method is used.