This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2012 2:48 PM by 968673 RSS

REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE for RAC

968673 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

In our RAC enviornment REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE is set to EXCLUSIVE

I have read that in a RAC enviornment it is a good idea to set it to SHARED

We are having a problem with a application install where the SYS user AS SYSDBA is used. From within the app, many schemas are created, howerver after the successful creation of two schemas. We get invalid userid/password error in the app log files. The app install aborts.

Two node RAC, 11.2, running on windows 2008 servers.
We have mulitple databases running on each node. So there are four instances on each node.

So we are using the SCAN listener, it almost seems like app install goes OK initially, then the install tries to reconnect via SYS user as SYSDBA and errors out with invalid userid/pwd

Thanks
  • 1. Re: REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE for RAC
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Hi,

During install of application are you using "EXCLUSIVE" or "SHARED"?
    From within the app, many schemas are created, howerver after the successful creation of two schemas. We get invalid userid/password error in the app log files. The app install aborts.
    How did you know that this problem is caused by "REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE"?

About SHARED:
    Any attempt to do so or to change the password of SYS or other users with the SYSDBA or SYSOPER privileges generates an error. All users needing SYSDBA or SYSOPER system privileges must be added to the password file when REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE is set to EXCLUSIVE. After all users are added, you can change REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE to SHARED, and then share the file.
  • 2. Re: REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE for RAC
    968673 Newbie
    Hi Levi,

Thank you for your reply.

During the application install we are using REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE

<How did you know that this problem is caused by "REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE"?>

Just my guess, looking at different possible causes.

The fact that user SYS is used, led me to REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE

The weird thing is two schemas get created, so the userid/password is OK. Then the app install aborts with invalid userid/pwd
    The app does appear to login several times during the install, so it is not one continuous session.

What are your thoughts?

Here is output from the app install error log:

012-11-05 13:50:52.529 NOTIFICATION rcu: oracle.sysman.assistants.common.dbutil.jdbc.JDBCEngine::connect: Connecting to database: user:SYS, role:SYSDBA, connectString:(description=(address=(host=RR-RRR-11rac1-scn.dev.xxxx.local)(protocol=tcp)(port=1521))(connect_data=(service_name=RAC11V3)(server=dedicated)))
    2012-11-05 13:50:52.951 ERROR rcu: oracle.sysman.assistants.rcu.backend.validation.StepValidator::isConnectionStepValidated: Failed to connect database: Invalid username/password.
    Please enter valid username/password
    2012-11-05 13:50:52.966 ERROR rcu: oracle.sysman.assistants.rcu.backend.validation.StepValidator::isConnectionStepValidated: SQLFatalErrorException:
    oracle.sysman.assistants.common.dbutil.SQLFatalErrorException: Invalid username/password.
    Please enter valid username/password
  • 3. Re: REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE for RAC
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    2012-11-05 13:50:52.529 NOTIFICATION rcu: oracle.sysman.assistants.common.dbutil.jdbc.JDBCEngine::connect: Connecting to database: user:SYS, role:SYSDBA, connectString:(description=(address=(host=RR-RRR-11rac1-scn.dev.xxxx.local)(protocol=tcp)(port=1521))(connect_data=(service_name=RAC11V3)(server=dedicated)))
    ### Try it on all nodes:

SQL> grant SYSDBA to SYS;

### In one node put here output of:  

SQL> select * from gv$pwfile_users;

SQL> select inst_id,name,value from gv$parameter where name ='remote_login_passwordfile';
    Edited by: Levi Pereira on Nov 6, 2012 4:25 PM
  • 4. Re: REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE for RAC
    968673 Newbie
    So this has been my focus, I suspected some issue with the SYS.

I actually recreated the password file again on both nodes. Waiting now to try it with the developer.

SYS @rac11v3 > select * from gv$pwfile_users;

INST_ID USERNAME SYSDB SYSOP SYSAS
    ---------- ------------------------------ ----- ----- -----
    1 SYS TRUE TRUE FALSE
    2 SYS TRUE TRUE FALSE

SYS @rac11v3 > select inst_id,name,value from gv$parameter where name ='remote_login_passwordfile';

INST_ID NAME
    ---------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VALUE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------
    2 remote_login_passwordfile
    EXCLUSIVE

1 remote_login_passwordfile
    EXCLUSIVE
  • 5. Re: REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE for RAC
    968673 Newbie
    hello, so we have a resolution.

I recreated the ora password file on both nodes. This fixed the issue, the app was able to run the entire install without any issues.

so perhaps a corrupted ora password file on one of the nodes. When SCAN would redirect the install to a different node it would abort.
    just my guess, other opions welcome.

Thank you Levi for your input, your intuition was correct. A SYS user/pwd issue.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points